Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Smokey Laos

Posted by mikenam on 20/8/2010 at 21:13

Im travelling aroung laos in March and I hear its as smokey as a dragons arse with all the burning of crops and what not.
I am a wee bit gutted about this as my friend who is there now has fallen completly in love with the place. Im wondering how bad is this smoke on a scale of bearable to non.

Im hoping to travel around vientiene and vang vieng mabye do a bit of bikeing...

#1 mikenam has been a member since 7/8/2010. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 8
 Send mikenam a private message 

Posted by somsai on 21/8/2010 at 01:01

For me it's much less bothersome than the pollution in many Asian cities year round. Nice sunsets.

#2 somsai has been a member since 1/3/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 568
 Send somsai a private message 

Posted by MADMAC on 21/8/2010 at 02:08

Exactly how smokey is a dragon's ass? Worse than Moscow during a forest fire?

#3 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by Captain_Bob on 21/8/2010 at 20:11

Almost guaranteed haze mid-Feb to mid-April, as in not being able to distinguish hilltops just a few km away, but it also fluctuates a fair bit. On a particular day the folks may decide to light up an entire mountain or hillside and then it can be stifling, especially combined with the peak hot season. But head over to the next valley or wait for a nice breeze and it can clear out again. Sometimes you'll be sitting outdoors having a meal and little flurries of ash come wafting down or if you sleep up high where it can hit dewpoint at night the burnt smell becomes prevalent. It can also interfere (or in some cases assist with) landscape photography but hey those red ball sunsets that start at 3pm are pretty. Certainly not enough of an issue to re-schedule though. Have done several March-April Laos trips and still enjoy.

Burnt mountain http://www.flickr.com/photos/captain-bob/3820193228/sizes/l
Hazy view http://www.flickr.com/photos/captain-bob/3819393529/sizes/l
Groovy sunset http://www.flickr.com/photos/captain-bob/3819380241/sizes/l

#4 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,918

Posted by mikenam on 22/8/2010 at 21:15

Captain Bob your a star! I couldnt have asked for a better answer, and those photos are great. Thank you!!!

#5 mikenam has been a member since 7/8/2010. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 8
 Send mikenam a private message 

Posted by Tilapia on 22/8/2010 at 22:53

Ya, nice photos Captain.

#6 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,508
 Send Tilapia a private message   Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by agarlao on 24/8/2010 at 08:44

I've lived near Vientiane for 20 years and I can't say it's ever bothered me.

Mind you, I'm a smoker myself!

#7 agarlao has been a member since 13/6/2008. Posts: 30

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.