Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Vientiane > Vinh > Ho Chi Minh (transportation mode advice)

Posted by mukapecah8 on 25/8/2010 at 00:39

Greetings,

This coming December, I am going for backpack through out Chiang Mai>Luang Prabang> Vinh >Ho Chi Minh..

Ok, let me get straight to the point.. I've been browsing through the net looking for info & couldn't find satisfying answers, most virtually are shared 'from Vientiane > to Hanoi'

I am planning to leave Vientiane for Vinh (by bus), & then from Vinh heading to Ho Chi Minh (by train).

My questions;
1) is there a DIRECT bus from Vientiane to Vinh and it is can be done in DAY trip and perhaps reaching Vinh by afternoon?;
2) It is possible right after reach Vinh then straight away take a NIGHT train to Ho Chi Minh?

I am settling up to take a train right after reaching Vinh & get a sleeper coach to south; instead of staying one night there.

Your feedback is a big assistance for me!

#1 mukapecah8 has been a member since 28/12/2006. Posts: 9

Posted by somtam2000 on 25/8/2010 at 08:39 admin

1) There is a daily bus from Vientiane to Vinh and Thanh Hoa but it leaves Vientiane at 19:00. I'm not sure how long it takes, but it's an overnight bus. I'm not aware of a day service.

2) Simple answer is I'm not sure. The cross border buses are notorious for delays and breakdowns, I wouldn't count on any smooth and close transitions.

Lastly, another option would be to get the bus from Vientiane to Hue via Savannakhet - Hue certainly more comfortable than Vinh for an overnighter if you get stuck there!

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,710
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by mukapecah8 on 25/8/2010 at 17:13

OH! .Thank you somtam2000.

By the way, the bus ride from Vientiane to Hue normally would take how long? One day?
& it is on day service or night service, or both?

I'll try to get myself heading south, as for the last two year I had managed linger around northern Vietnam already =].

#3 mukapecah8 has been a member since 28/12/2006. Posts: 9

Posted by mukapecah8 on 25/8/2010 at 17:31

Oh yeah.. how long it will take for a train ride from Vinh or Hue to Ho Chi Minh?

#4 mukapecah8 has been a member since 28/12/2006. Posts: 9

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.