Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Top natural beauty places/sites in Laos?

Posted by johnkitchener on 27/9/2010 at 12:35

Hey everyone! We're looking at exploring Laos with a real emphasis on culture and especially natural beauty. Im talking caves, lookouts, mountains, lagoons, flora and fauna, rivers ....etc. So if anyone has any suggestions, id love to hear them :)

also any adventure or hard trekking is a bonus :)

Thanks in advance! :)

#1 johnkitchener has been a member since 19/9/2010. Posts: 7

Posted by Rufus on 28/9/2010 at 15:08

Vang Vieng, Luang Prabang, Plain of Jars, Champassak, Attapeu. Many other places as well.

#2 Rufus has been a member since 22/4/2007. Location: Laos. Posts: 976
 Send Rufus a private message 

Posted by tinoh on 28/9/2010 at 15:20

Do the bolaven tour from Pakse. We did it by motorbike and loved it. Check out:
http://www.bolaven.com/index.php

On the travel info page there is also a page about extreme trekking.

#3 tinoh has been a member since 13/2/2010. Posts: 40

Posted by caseyprich on 28/9/2010 at 15:26

Having only been to the north I can highly recommend Luang Prabang for both beauty and culture - some nice waterfalls around the area for day trips, plenty to see around the city.

I also think that Nong Kiaow is a very pretty spot to stay for a night. There is some really pretty scenery between there and Sam Neua . If you want to do the cultural experience of Phonsavan (Plain of Jars - I don't think there is much scenery in the area but the history is spectacular - you can read my review of the place) you could go from LP to Phonsoavan, then loop up to Sam Neua for a night or two - interesting caves around there - and then swing through the countryside to Nong Kiaow on your way back to LP. That's the loop I took and I very much enjoyed it. Could probably be done in a week and a 1/2 easily if you stick to a night or two per main stop.

#4 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Send caseyprich a private message   Where has caseyprich been? 

Posted by idreamofdurian on 28/9/2010 at 16:18 TF writer

Get yourself to Luang Prabang then start heading North along the river -- Nong Kiaow, Muang Ngoi, Sam Neua and onward. The further you get from Luang Prabang, the more authentic your trekking and village-visit experiences will be.

#5 idreamofdurian has been a member since 5/9/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 576
 Send idreamofdurian a private message   Website   Twitter   Flickr  

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.