I have a few questions about buying a second hand 125ccmotorbike in Laos, driving around on it for about a month, and selling itagain.
My friend did this a while back, but as he is unreachablefor the moment and therefore unable to answer my questions, I thought I woulddo the next best thing; ask other travelers.
This is my plan. I will go to Laos in about two weeks,coming from Cambodia, and buy a small secondhand 125cc motorbike as soon aspossible and then tour the country for a month, ending either in Vang Vieng orLuang Prabang. As I have already been to the north a while back, I amconcentrating on the southern and central part of the country.
Here’s the lineup:
1. I know it’s possible to buy a bike and later resell it inanother city, but is it possible to buy it in Pakse? Has anyone got experience?
2. Any recommendations for a model? I rode 2000 km in thenorthern part of Vietnam on a rented Honda Neo Future 125cc - it was hard forthe bum, but otherwise it was great. I’d like to find something similar…
3. What kinda paperwork do I need to make sure gets done?
4. The one I was driving in Vietnam had a custom-madeluggage rack on the back, which made it very easy to mount my backpack with acouple of rubber hoses. Do you think that would be possible to find?
5. Any trouble with the police?
6. Does anyone know of any good road maps of Laos? I heardthe GT Rider map is good, can I get that in Pakse?
I think that’s all… any recommendations and other “headsup’s” would surely be appreciated!
#1 jonathant has been a member since 4/10/2010. Posts: 2
I'd be surprised if it were possible to do this legally - it is not possible in Thailand unless you reside here.
As for maps, if you have a good memory, you can use google earth, review where you want to go the next day and the surrounding area (because you can view actual colorized imagery, you can see details quite well) and then you "know" where you're going and the areas around it if you want to get off the man road. This works for me, but I have a thing and a memory for maps.
#2 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
No actually I just found out (in another forum) that it's not possible to do. But I might be able to do it via a Lao friend... I'm gonna email him right away.
Thanks for the google-maps suggestion. Though I think I would prefer a physical map by my side at all times
#3 jonathant has been a member since 4/10/2010. Posts: 2