Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Mosquitoes and Malaria-Luang Prabang

Posted by merrylg on 22/11/2006 at 20:46

I am traveling with my husband to Luang Prabang at the beginning of Jan. I am pregnant and trying to assess how serious the mosquito/malaria problem is in Luang Prabang in the winter. My doctor has said it is a high risk malaria area and recommended I take Larium, but studies are inconclusive regarding the safety of this drug in pregnant women. Can anyone report in on the intensity of the mosquitoes in Luang Prabang during the winter season? Do you take a malaria preventitive? Thanks!

#1 merrylg has been a member since 17/11/2006. Posts: 3

Posted by somtam2000 on 23/11/2006 at 14:31 admin

Hi merrylg,

Welcome to Travelfish!

Let me preface this by saying I am not a doctor!

I wouldn't recommend that anyone ever take Larium -- my wife had a very bad reaction to it and I know of two other women who had similiar episodes.

I really can't give advice about taking it when pregnant. After a quick google search I found this:

"Lariam may be given to pregnant women in the second and third trimesters, but should be avoided if possible in the first trimester."

As to the question of taking malarials in general, my advice is always not to --unless you are planning on spending prolonged periods of time in rural areas. You're better off to use repellent, dress sensibly at dawn and dusk and use a mosquito net.

Hope that helps

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,644
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.