Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Fly to Luang Prabang or Namtha from VTE

Posted by W_Sobchak on 18/10/2010 at 10:43

Plans have changed and I am now booked on a flight into Vientiane. I will land there tomorrow evening. I plan to fly north to either LP or LNT to start my 2 to 3 weeks in Laos.

Is it best to start in Namtha and travel South?
I will be flying from LP or VTE to Hanoi at the end of my stay in Laos.

From Hanoi I go to Khoalak Thailand for a diving trip. I need to arrive there by Nov 10.

Should I allow for time in Sapa after flying to Hanoi or can I get my fill of village life in Laos?

I hope not to see too many tourist, or at least not the lazy slobish toursist I am currently surrounded by on Bali's west coast.

#1 W_Sobchak has been a member since 23/9/2010. Posts: 7
 Send W_Sobchak a private message 

Posted by Captain_Bob on 18/10/2010 at 15:03

Lao Airlines flies M,W,F,Su VTE-LXG (Luang Namtha) and I would recommend going that far north if you have 2-3 weeks (longer=better of course).

Check out Zuela Guesthouse on the main street in Luang Namtha, or the Manichan Guesthouse out front. Also the new Thoulasith Guesthouse looks great.

Namtha is a pretty laidback town a far cry from Kuta/Lovina/Ubud tourism, and right now is the quietest time of year in this neck of the woods. Rent a bicycle, get the free local map and go visit some of the sleepy villages and temples. Rent a motorbike and go to Muang Sing too. Good sealed road nice scenery and culture-junkie hilltribe village spotting on the way.

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,911

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.