Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

by boat from Vieniane to Pakse?

Posted by nipitiri on 30/10/2010 at 22:52

When I look at the map, I see the Mekong going south from Vientiane , towards Savannakhet and Pakse, but I can not find any information about traveling that way. Does anybody know, if it is possible to travel by boat from Vientiane to Pakse? Thanks.

#1 nipitiri has been a member since 30/10/2010. Posts: 6

Posted by Captain_Bob on 31/10/2010 at 18:44

Possible but not easy. No regular passenger services for foreigners so you'd have to hire a private boat and pay big $! Also note that since the Mekong is the Thai/Lao border most of the way you have visa issues to deal with. If for any reason your boat lands on the wrong side you could get into bureaucratic trouble. Meanwhile highway 13 is good and solid all the way down and buses are cheap and relatively fast, so that's how the locals travel. Still it's nice to dream ;-)

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,911

Posted by nipitiri on 1/11/2010 at 01:00

Thanks. A dream it will be then... ;)

#3 nipitiri has been a member since 30/10/2010. Posts: 6

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.