Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

8 days in Laos -starting in huay xai

Posted by roccstar on 31/10/2010 at 17:45

Hi,
I will travel to Laos in the end of November. I will start my trip in Chiang Rai, so I will enter the country in huay xai. I will have 8 days until I will take a flight from LP to Ha Noi.
My first plan was to take the boat down the mekong and then to spend the rest in LP, including 2-3 days of trekking.
From what I read in this forum, I understand that 7 days in LP would be too long.
Now I consider to go to Luang Nam Tha first (2-3 days) and do the trekking in that area. Afterwards I would still have 4 days in LP.

Any thoughts on that? Is the boattrip from Huay xai to LP really worth doing?

On a sperate matter, does anyone has experience with cooking classes in LP?

Thank you in advance for your help!

#1 roccstar has been a member since 31/10/2010. Posts: 6

Posted by caseyprich on 31/10/2010 at 21:07

I get a little bored on boat trips after a few hours - even the spectacular scenery down the Li River in China I was ready to get off the boat around lunch. I've not done that leg of the Mekong but those I've talked to who have gave less than grand accounts - the slow boat is very slow and the scenery gets repetitive. Going trekking up north in Lang Nam Tha is a great idea before getting into Luang Prabang - you can relax and soak up the temples after getting dirty.

#2 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Send caseyprich a private message   Where has caseyprich been? 

Posted by exacto on 1/11/2010 at 06:49

i don't think seven days in luang prabang is too long, but i really like it there and don't mind a few days of nothing but long lunches along the riverside and sunsets on phou sii.

even so, if i had that full week like you do, i'd be temped to go overland to Luang Nam Tha and then down to LP with maybe even an overnight stopover in Udomsai. i think four days in LP will still be enough to catch all the highlights and still have some mellow time to explore the city too. regards.

#3 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,685
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Posted by wanderingcat on 1/11/2010 at 10:44

there are more scenic boat trips elsewhere in Laos.
most people do this trip only because they studied the Lonely Planet Textbook :P
my vote goes to the Luang Namtha option.
or you could even go overland to Nong Khiaw instead, trek there & then travel Nong Khiaw-LPB by boat.

not done any cooking courses, but one place in LPB to consider:
http://tamnaklao.yolasite.com/

#4 wanderingcat has been a member since 21/10/2006. Posts: 730
 Send wanderingcat a private message   Where has wanderingcat been?   Website 

Posted by roccstar on 1/11/2010 at 15:01

Thank you so much for your help!
I think at frist I will go to Luang Nam Tha and then to LP.

#5 roccstar has been a member since 31/10/2010. Posts: 6

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.