Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Northern Laos Itinary Advice

Posted by reece on 12/11/2010 at 10:16

Hi all, great website!

I would love a little advice on the last week of my itinerary if anyone can help.

28/12 Arrive Vientiane
29 Vientiane
30 VientianeLuang Prabang (Fly)
31 LP
1/1 LP
2 LP
3 LP - Nong Khiaw (Slow Boat)
4 Trek / Overnight Village Homestay
5 Nong Khiaw
6 Nong Khiaw – Udomxai (Bus)
7 Udomxai - Luang Nam Tha (Bus)
8 Luang Nam Tha + surrounds
9 Luang Nam Tha + surrounds
10 Luang Nam Tha – Pak Tha (2 day boat trip)
11 Luang Nam Tha – Pak Tha (2 day boat trip)
12 Pak Tha – Huay XaiChiang KhongChiang Rai (To fly to Bangkok at 9.30pm)

I have booked accommodation up until Nong Khiaw and was planning to leave the rest until I arrive.

Would it be possible to do the Nong Khiaw – Luang Nam Tha bus trip in a single day, without having to spend the night at Udomxai?

Is the last day unrealistic? I can find little information on getting from Pak Tha- Huay Xai. Can I charter a boat, or is it possible to take a car/bus? How long does this take?

I am open to suggestions for the last part of the trip, as I am wondering if the 2 day slow boat is maybe wasting too much time (especially considering we will be taking a slow boat from LP-NK earlier). Does the boat stop much at villages etc. along the way, or is it fairly direct?

I need be in Thailand to fly to Bangkok on the 12/1.

Thanks a lot,

Reece

#1 reece has been a member since 12/11/2010. Posts: 2

Posted by somtam2000 on 12/11/2010 at 18:17 admin

Great trip!

BUT, the last bit ( Pak Tha to Chiang Rai by 9:30pm probably isn't going to happen. I'd bank on a night in Chiang Khong or Chiang Rai. In theory you could hire a boat first thing and head upriver, but it would be tight.

Nong Khiaw to Udomxai can be done in a day if you leave Nong Khiaw early.

The boats from Luang Nam Tha to Pak Tha run very haphazardly, so I wouldn't bank on them if you have a very tight timeline.

More questions? ask away!

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,565
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by Captain_Bob on 12/11/2010 at 22:06

Would it be possible to do the Nong Khiaw – Luang Nam Tha bus trip in a single day, without having to spend the night at Udomxai?

Yes, see shedule on http://www.oudomxay.info/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=34%E2%8C%A9=en

I can find little information on getting from Pak Tha- Huay Xai.

I think you can get a boat all the way from Luang Namtha to Huay Xai. Contact http://www.theboatlanding.com about this.

Huay Xai - Chiang Khong - Chiang Rai only takes about 3 hours so you should have plenty of time to make the evening flight.

#3 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,891

Posted by reece on 14/11/2010 at 18:32

Thanks so much for your replies.

We are thinking that perhaps we may drop the slow boat and take the bus to Huay Xai instead. This should allow us to take things a little slower, and potentially be more reliable than the boat.

#4 reece has been a member since 12/11/2010. Posts: 2

Posted by monesprit on 10/12/2010 at 11:24

Can you describe the process to get the boat Louang Phabang to Nong Khiaw, and agent or operator you used, cost and just what the trip is like and how long it took? We want to do it Jan 2nd.

Also something of Nong Khiaw, where you stayed and if you liked it & cost and the regular stuff. We are going on to Tay Trang and Sa Pa in Vietnam, if you heard anything abt that route on the ground, we'd be interested!

Thanks-

Monesprit

#5 monesprit has been a member since 29/11/2010. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.