Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Trying to get from Udon Thani Airport Thailand to the Laos visa checkpoint

Posted by chris1dna on 1/12/2006 at 20:24

I am traveling to Luang Prabong in Laos. How is best to reach Lao Visa checkpoint at Friendship Bridge in Nong Khai from the Udon Thani Airport?

Is there a bus service catering to travelers who need to get to Laos from the Airport perhaps? Any help would be great!
Happy Traveling. Sawasdee, Chris

#1 chris1dna has been a member since 19/11/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 23

Posted by somtam2000 on 1/12/2006 at 21:56 admin

Hi Chris,

THAI run a shuttle bus from Udon airport from Udon Thani to Nong Khai, from where it is straightforward to get to Vientiane. There are also six direct buses a day between Udon Airport and Vientiane for 80B

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,575
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by thorel on 1/2/2007 at 17:45

can anybody tell me ( SOMTAM ?) what time are the last buses from Udon to Vientiane, because I will fly from Bangkok via nokair and arrive at 7 pm in udon; so will there still be a bus?

#3 thorel has been a member since 27/12/2006. Posts: 1

Posted by somsai on 2/2/2007 at 07:00

I don't know if it was a regular bus or shuttle but I got a seat on a 10 person mini van at the bagage counter at 6pm. Took us to the border checkpoint only, not Nong Khai, and definatly not the prefferable Vientiane. We had prepared visa forms in advance and made Vientiane by 8:15.

Just a note for all you visa runners that might be reading. The regular bus out of the bus station (udon Thani)didn't want to sell us tickets a month ago. They say no tickets without prior visa on big sign. So if you are stopping off in Udonthani for the night you might need to take bus to Nong Khai, shuttle to bridge, tuk tuk to Vientiane. Pain in the butt. Or go back out to the airport where there is I believe a through bus.

#4 somsai has been a member since 1/3/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 568

Posted by LancasterLad on 2/2/2007 at 21:32

Why not stop off in Nong Khai for a relaxing couple of days? Its a complete contrast to Bangkok with lots to keep you occupied before proceeding to the Friendship Bridge to get your visa and cross into Laos.

Sorry about the punctuation but Im on a funny keyboard in Fes (Morocco) at the moment.

#5 LancasterLad has been a member since 13/9/2006. Posts: 62

Posted by buzz129 on 14/2/2007 at 04:57

Yes, stay a few days in Nong Khai and relax at Mut Mee GH. No I have no shares in it. But it is a fantastic relaxing atmosphere over there!

#6 buzz129 has been a member since 11/7/2006. Posts: 11

Posted by buzz129 on 14/2/2007 at 05:08

The minibusses from Udon Thani Airport are always there when a flight arrives. At any time they are very willing to drop you off at the border, although it is a detour for them. I doubt if you will be able to cross the border so late at night. I would not do it as transportation from the border into Vientiane can be quite rough. So better during daytime. If you have a reservation in one of the guesthouses in Nong Khai the minibus will drop you off there. Next morning you easy find a tuk tuk for a few baht to bring you to the border. Don't be scammed by buying a taxi ticket at the Lao side of the border for 300 Bt. These taxi's are worse and more dirty than the ordinary bus into Vientiane. And don't believe the promises of nice smiling young ladies at the taxi desk. You will see it yourself.

#7 buzz129 has been a member since 11/7/2006. Posts: 11

Posted by buzz129 on 14/2/2007 at 05:08

Yes, stay a few days in Nong Khai and relax at Mut Mee GH. No I have no shares in it. But it is a fantastic relaxing atmosphere over there!

#8 buzz129 has been a member since 11/7/2006. Posts: 11

Posted by chris1dna on 21/2/2007 at 09:03

Hello everyone,

Thank you all so much for the replys! We have traveled to Laos and Thailand many times but never by air to the border via UT. Thank you again. It's this specific kind of info that really impresses us. What a great resource! I found this site by chance while doing a google search on this subject.

Regards, Chris and Lamai

#9 chris1dna has been a member since 19/11/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 23

Posted by Butch on 21/2/2007 at 10:18

Hi Chris,
The Thai-Lao Friendship Bridge is open 'til 10pm and the minibus should get you there before 9pm -- so plenty of time to spare if you're planning on getting to Laos the same day.

#10 Butch has been a member since 2/1/2007. Posts: 5

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.