Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Worst place to eat in Luang Prabang

Posted by daawgon on 27/11/2010 at 11:22

has to be the Coconut Restaurant - incredibly BAD FOOD! My papaya salad tasted like sauerkraut with fish sauce, and my Cantonese noodles looked more like an Italian pasta dish that was badly overcooked. Never again!

I intend to eat again at the Night Market Buffet because the food was fresh and tasty (not to mention cheap and healthy).

#1 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,111

Posted by Captain_Bob on 28/11/2010 at 00:42

Try any street stall that attempts western dishes, especially sandwich/burger bars in late afternoon when the mayo or pre-cooked egg has sat around all day. Potential quick weight-loss program when you get food poisoning and can't hold food down for 3 or 4 days whilst constantly leaking water from 2 or more orifices. Actually the worst I had in Laos was a coconut pancake, maybe due to the rancid margarine or whatever had been cooked in the same pan that day.

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,891

Posted by daawgon on 4/12/2010 at 15:02

Posted from within Vietnam.

I'm back here in Hanoi now, and really miss that good Swedish pizza I had at Scandinavian Bakery. Seems to me that Vietnamese standards of cleanliness are also pretty poor. For instance, my 2* hotel here has this buffet breakfast which is pretty good, except the plates are half clean and the tables are greasy.

#3 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,111

Posted by MADMAC on 4/12/2010 at 16:57

Bob
I tend to avoid street food period - for the reasons you cited. It's not as if you can't get sick in Asia eating Asian food. Sloppy health habits are sloppy health habits. Some western food requires a bit more preservation - although certainly not all.

#4 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by Rufus on 5/12/2010 at 13:42

It's not just street food. The worst I had was after a seafood meal in Manila at a supposed really good restaurant. I thought I was going to die.

#5 Rufus has been a member since 22/4/2007. Location: Laos. Posts: 973

Posted by MADMAC on 7/12/2010 at 12:09

Rufus
Indeed. It took me about six months here to figure out which places are OK to eat, and which are not. That's a luxury, of course, that transients just don't have.

#6 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by somsai on 8/12/2010 at 07:02

Six months? Takes me about sixty seconds, I ask a local. Mac, don't you speak the language? Good golly Ms. Molly.

#7 somsai has been a member since 1/3/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 568

Posted by MADMAC on 8/12/2010 at 10:27

Ask a local? You think I trust these guys opinions on anything Somsai? Are you kidding me? Like I said in another, unrelated post, God knows I love 'em, but Thais and I don't regard things like cuisine in quite the same manner - ditto for driving. The indigenous persons here are, well, we are definitely different in a number of areas. What they think is good, and what I think is good, are two different things. Also, yes, I speak Thai, but I speak it badly. So nuanced questions are out. For a lot of people here, good means cheap. Now, after living here a while, I know a number of people who's opinions on the subject I would be inclined to trust. But it took a long time to meet those people.

#8 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.