Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Luang Prabang to Pakse to Don Kohn -> in one day?

Posted by cdwy0142 on 28/11/2010 at 17:53

Hi everyone -

I'll be spending a few weeks in Laos (from Dec 8 to Dec 21) and I was wondering if it was possible to get from LP down to Don Khon and the 4000 islands in one day.

I am booked on the Laos Air flight from LP to Pakse which gets in at 12:30PM.

I am wondering if that is too late to get the bus or a sawngthaew down to Ban Nakasang from the 8KM bus terminal in Pakse?

The LP guide says that transport is available until 3PM I am just wondering if in reality (and given the vagaries of 3rd world transport) this is a doable trip.

Also, I am assuming that there is nothing to see in Pakse and that I should be moving on ASAP.

Thanks in advance for any advice you might have.

Safe travels

Chris

#1 cdwy0142 has been a member since 28/11/2010. Posts: 1

Posted by Captain_Bob on 29/11/2010 at 00:39

I'd say you'll probably make if you get to the 8km bus station by around 2-3pm, but I'd also add that trying to time-slice like this goes contrary to the "Laos way". Stay a night in Pakse and see what it has to offer (I enjoyed a few nights around there - rent a moto and ride up to the Bolaven plateau). It's otherwise kind of bizarre to hurry up and rush to 4000 islands, then what? Ride a bike, lie in a hammock, open a beer and stick yer toe in the Mekong. One lazy day blends into the next which is how it should be on sii phan don.

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,891

Posted by Rufus on 29/11/2010 at 07:01

Yes it is possible, but I would stay in Pakse for the night.

#3 Rufus has been a member since 22/4/2007. Location: Laos. Posts: 973

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.