Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

I'm dreaming of a Laos Christmas and a sociable new year

Posted by jackymoon on 19/12/2010 at 11:35

Hello every one,

It seems I will be spending the holidays in Laos. Which seems to me tobe a great thing. I think I will end up in Vientiane or Vang Vieng forChristmas, and certainly Vang Vieng for NYE. Sounds like the kind ofplace that I usually don't like to spend too much time, but I wouldvery much enjoy company since I travel alone. So my question is, whichguesthouses in those two cities would be recommendable for friendlystaff and good social atmosphere? Sometimes it is such a pain in theass discovering the "best" place to stay when you arrive in a newtown. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

On another note, is it possible to pick up and Indian visa in Vientiane?

Thanks so much!!

J

#1 jackymoon has been a member since 20/10/2010. Posts: 20

Posted by Rufus on 19/12/2010 at 15:37

Love is where you find it. I would stay at the Souphaphone guesthouse which is central and not too expensive.
For friends I would head to Bor Pen Nyang after about 8.00 or the Samlor pub after about 9.00

#2 Rufus has been a member since 22/4/2007. Location: Laos. Posts: 976
 Send Rufus a private message 

Posted by idreamofdurian on 19/12/2010 at 18:11 TF writer

That's great advice from Rufus. I'd love to be spending NYE on the Mekong Riverfront in Vientiane ! If you're willing to splurge a little for fancy NYE cocktails, check out the Spirit House further past Bor Pen Nyang. They'll definitely have champagne :D Other accommodations I'd recommend in Vientiane for meeting people are the Lao Youth Hostel (#2 is newer and cleaner) or the Mixay Guesthouse. They're cheap, too.

For all the Travelfish accommodation review in Vientiane go here -- https://www.travelfish.org/accommodation/laos/vientiane_and_surrounds/vientiane/vientiane/all

In Vang Vieng you'll have no problem finding a party. For friendly staff and a guaranteed group of people to party with, stay at the Spicy Lao Backpackers. If you want something a little more comfortable but still cheap, check out the bungalows on the island in the middle of the river -- Banana Bungalows or Otherside Bungalows.

#3 idreamofdurian has been a member since 5/9/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 576
 Send idreamofdurian a private message   Website   Twitter   Flickr  

Posted by idreamofdurian on 19/12/2010 at 18:13 TF writer

Oh, and there is an Indian Consulate in Vientiane and they should be able to issue your tourist visa -- http://indemblao.nic.in/visa.htm

#4 idreamofdurian has been a member since 5/9/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 576
 Send idreamofdurian a private message   Website   Twitter   Flickr  

Posted by MADMAC on 19/12/2010 at 19:51

Just remember if you are looking to be "social" in Laos, be social with Vietnamese women, not Lao women. Legal issue there.

#5 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.