Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Car Rental in Laos (Pakse)

Posted by Sethlake on 21/12/2010 at 06:40

Are there any updates on renting a jeep type vehicle in Pakse? I would like to do this for my family but it appears impossible to do without a driver.

How difficult is it to take a car across the border (Thai-Laos @ Chong Mek). Would you have to pay all sorts of duties and need paperwork proving its your car etc?

#1 Sethlake has been a member since 25/6/2010. Posts: 5

Posted by orlavanh on 15/2/2011 at 16:56

Hey Sethlake

maybe you can think about renting a car in Vientiane and ask them to delivery a car to you in Pakse, and check with them if you can leave a car in Thailand, just ask them for collection, there are a lot of car rental company in Laos,,,,,,,but i suggest you to check with Europcar laos, because i think they are the only one that can let you have self drive and can let you across the border.......

#2 orlavanh has been a member since 15/2/2011. Posts: 6

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code

Posted by peter27 on 17/2/2011 at 19:47

Most of the car rental companies that Iknow do not offer cross border car rental facility. In Pakse itselfyou will find many car rental providers as the public transportationis not so good there.

#3 peter27 has been a member since 18/11/2010. Posts: 31
 Send peter27 a private message 

Posted by stevo0601 on 3/2/2014 at 16:38

There is now a euopcar rental company now in pakse, you can rent and drive yourself, all the cars are new and you can request a car that comes with a car passport to cross borders, my wife is from near pakse and we rented a car so I could take her across the border to a good hospital in Thailand for her to give birth to out child, the border crossing is quick and painless, just requires a few stamps in the car passport and a small fee is to be paid. You can stay for up to 30 days, when you rent the car and it has a car passport it will have the insurance certificate in the vehicle with it, you just need to copy and show proof of the cars insurance at the border crossings,

If you are going to rent a car I recommend one of the 4x4 pick up trucks, the roads are very bad and have terrible potholes, the potholes I hit at speed would of smashes a normal car suspension to pieces but I was ok, the insurance excess you have to pay in case of an accident is around 1500 aussie dollars so it's best to be safe

#4 stevo0601 has been a member since 3/2/2014. Posts: 1

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.