Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

5 days in Laos

Posted by quannm on 1/2/2011 at 00:21

Posted from within Vietnam.

Dear all,

I've read through a lot of topics here and find them greatly useful. It has urged me to make a short trip to Laos, hopefully next week. Please kindly give your advice on this.

I would love to visit Luang Phrabang, Xieng Khuoang and Vientianne. I will start from Hanoi and will try to lower the cost as much as possible. I'm wondering if I go by bus, will i make it in 5 days, probably from 5th to 10th of this February ? I understand that flight is faster and more convenient but my budget is quite tight.
If possible please show me the route.
Many thanks and your help is highly appreciated.

#1 quannm has been a member since 31/1/2011. Posts: 2

Posted by wanderingcat on 1/2/2011 at 08:34

5 will only see the bus stations of Luang Prabang, Xieng Khouang & Vientiane, & not much else...

see reply #1 here for the overland journey times from Hanoi to Laos:

within Laos:
Luang Prabang-Xieng Khouang = 1 day bus
Xieng Khouang-Vientiane = 1 day bus
Luang Prabang-Vientiane = 1 day bus
(1 day bus means at least 10 hours or longer)

#2 wanderingcat has been a member since 21/10/2006. Posts: 730
 Send wanderingcat a private message   Where has wanderingcat been?   Website 

Posted by quannm on 1/2/2011 at 21:36

Ah thanks for your reply wanderingcat, I really did not anticipate that. So the trip I presume will take at least a week if I plan to visit all the 3 places.
Guess I may need to defer it this time then.
My initial plan is to reach Laos by bus starting from Dien Bien Phu, then visit Luang Prabang-Xiang Khuang- Vientianne then take a flight back to Hanoi.
Any other relevant advice would be appreciated.

#3 quannm has been a member since 31/1/2011. Posts: 2

Posted by vietnamrum on 13/2/2011 at 03:46

Each of the SE Asia countries is unique. There is a different vibe in each.

IF you really want to see Laos to get a taster go to one place for the 5 days.

I have spent 2 months in Vang Viene and a month in different times and loved it.

Go see Laos.

#4 vietnamrum has been a member since 21/1/2011. Posts: 39

Posted by orlavanh on 15/2/2011 at 17:10

5 days in Laos is too short, especially if you want to take a bus,,,,because taking a bus from Veintiane to Laungprabang is would take around 1 days, that mean you will loose one day on the bus.......maybe you can think about renting a motobike or car,,,,but i suggest A CAR,,,,hahahaha++++ and then you can have free with your travel, you don't need to wait for the bus.....and you can manage your time.....if you are interest, you can check with travel agency, or a car rental friends told me that there a lot of car rental in Laos,but there is the only one that can let you have self-driver, which is Europcar, maybe you can check with them first at

enjoy your trip

#5 orlavanh has been a member since 15/2/2011. Posts: 6

Posted by vietnamrum on 15/2/2011 at 22:23

Hanoi to Vientiane is 24 by bus. So 5 days and cheap dont work.

You could fly if you wast a taste of Laos.

It is brilliant there. I would skip it now enjoy Vietnam and organise a proper trip later.

#6 vietnamrum has been a member since 21/1/2011. Posts: 39

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.