Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Laos/China border crossing

Posted by tj88 on 2/2/2011 at 14:15

Hi, I just have a quick question. I am currently in China and am about to head to Laos. I am going from Kunming to Laos on a bus. I was wondering how you pay the border crossing. Will they accept Chinese money? If not, will I be able to use some kind of ATM at the border crossing? I don't want to get there and then realize I can't pay the entry visa fee. Thanks.

#1 tj88 has been a member since 30/12/2010. Posts: 2

Posted by svendj on 2/2/2011 at 15:53

just make sure you got enough money with you, you can exchange it later at a bank in Laos or Thailand. best deal would be to go to the bank in Kunming and get yourself some US dollars, they are accepted at the border and in Laos as well so no waste of money.

Normally you always have a little bit of spare money (at least you should), what if ATM's at some places don't work for you? I had that problem in Mengla (which you are passing as well) ATM's there don't accept a lot of credit cards so a little bit of extra change money can be good.

It's never a waste to have more in your pocket than you need, exchange can be done almost everywhere!

#2 svendj has been a member since 30/4/2010. Location: Belgium. Posts: 196
 Send svendj a private message   Where has svendj been? 

Posted by jamesdueeast on 20/2/2013 at 22:41

I am in the same situation and need an extra bit of info that is unanswered.
When you get to the China/Loas border crossing, what currencies can you pay with? Can I pay the visa fee with Chinese RMB/CNY currency? I would prefer to do so as the USD exchange rates in Kunming are awful.
Are there plenty of exchange bureaus in Luang Prabang or other places to exchange foreign currencies that give a good rate (e.g. not banks)? I don't know whether to change money here in China or wait until I'm in Laos. I have Swiss Francs (CHF) to exchange but as I said, the rates here are awful.

#3 jamesdueeast has been a member since 18/2/2013. Posts: 13

Posted by Rufus on 21/2/2013 at 04:23

There is very little difference in Lao between bank rates and exchange booths. LP does not have as good an exchange rate as Vientiane.

#4 Rufus has been a member since 22/4/2007. Location: Laos. Posts: 976
 Send Rufus a private message 

Posted by jamesdueeast on 21/2/2013 at 18:45

I wondered if I can get an immediate response on this one as I leave tonight and it's quite urgent. When you get to the China/Loas border crossing, what currencies can you pay with? Can I pay the visa fee with Chinese RMB/CNY currency?

#5 jamesdueeast has been a member since 18/2/2013. Posts: 13

Posted by tj88 on 21/2/2013 at 22:29

If I recall correctly, you can pay with either Chinese currency, or American dollars. They accept both. Hope this helps out! Have fun!

#6 tj88 has been a member since 30/12/2010. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.