Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Alternative travel out of Huay Xai

Posted by doedeer on 21/4/2011 at 03:10

Currently in the process of planning a trip around Thailand and Laos in August. Me and my girlfriend will be travelling up through Chang Rai into Huay Xai in order to do the Gibbon experience in Bokeo. Following that we will be looking to move on to Luang Prabang .

We dont fancy the slow boat and i have read that travelling by road can be treacherous in the rainy season so not recommended. Flights out of Huay Xai are only to Vietienne as i understand so i was wondering if it is feasible to pass back down into Thailand and fly from Chang Mai into Luang Prabang from there. Is this a stupid idea? (not to bothered about the extra cost).

#1 doedeer has been a member since 14/4/2011. Posts: 2

Posted by SEQfunbod on 24/4/2011 at 07:42

My dad - brucemoon - has travelled on the road from Huay Xai to Luang Nam Tha several times, and says it is bitumen all the way. I did the road from Luang Prabang to Luang Nam Tha last year and it is being upgraded so is slow and dirty. But only travel on large public buses as they are safe. Don't go on the 'express' mini vans as the drivers are really dangerous. Luang Nam Tha and Muang Sing are really worth the effort.

#2 SEQfunbod has been a member since 9/8/2009. Posts: 12

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.