Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Laos Vang vieng in May

Posted by danielleandmike on 8/5/2011 at 07:13

Hi, just asking for some advise please, we will be in vang vieng May 20th mainly to go tubing, is it worth going this time of year or will it be a waste of time??
Thanks
xx

#1 danielleandmike has been a member since 6/4/2011. Posts: 19

Posted by Captain_Bob on 8/5/2011 at 08:50

Are you concerned with weather, number of tourists, what?

It's never too hot for "tubing" and only gets chilly around December. So far this year has been quite rainy but who cares when you're already in the river? As for crowds, May is fairly quiet but there's always a "scene" along the river north of town. Just say "baaaaaaaaa" and follow the others from "tubing corner" in town where you rent tubes and get a ride upstream.

As always, be careful and don't get too drunk (famous last words). Beware of rocks beneath the surface and don't dive in headfirst even if there's a sign declaring it "safe". Many people get injured daily and a few die every year. Keep yourself alive.

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,902

Posted by danielleandmike on 8/5/2011 at 10:46

Thanks for the heads up! ill make sure not to do any stupid flips into the watre ha. i was ment to ask about the water level at this time of year...silly question really as its a river and hopefully always has water!!!
cheers

#3 danielleandmike has been a member since 6/4/2011. Posts: 19

Posted by Captain_Bob on 8/5/2011 at 22:50

Ah yes the water level. It's usually lowest around feb/march at the end of dry season, and this year the rains have come a bit early so already by now I'd expect the level to be adequate. I know here in northern Thailand most of the rivers are looking pretty healthy with all the rains we've been getting, and usually by around June folks are crying "flood" again.

April 2011 vid looks good
http://youtu.be/iHc7RF5zXY4

#4 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,902

Posted by svendj on 10/5/2011 at 16:51

I was there 2 weeks ago again and the river wasn't all that high as I've seen it 2 years ago. 2 years ago I was there in May as well and the water will rise approx 2 meters more which is good. so it's a good time to go!

As bob says: don't do anything stupid as I got bruised ribs again after crazy jumps :p. (not drunk though). be careful with drinking!!!!!!!!

#5 svendj has been a member since 30/4/2010. Location: Belgium. Posts: 196
 Where has svendj been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.