Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

looking for a driver

Posted by jumosi on 22/6/2011 at 12:56

Hello together,

we (2 adults/1 children) are going to laos for 3 weeks in August this year. We visit Cambodia, Vietam, Thailand, India .... before so we know abaout asia. We are looking for a car, driver and guide. Our guesthouses we want to look for our self. We dont want to book a grouptour, because I'm a fotografer an i want to stop and to stay where I want. Does anybody know a company or a driver/guide for us?

Our tour should be like this:

BKK - Houay Xay
Houay Xay - Vieng Phoukha
Vieng Phoukha - Luang Namtha
Luang Namtha - Muang Sing
Muang Sing - Luang Namtha
Luang Namtha - Oudoumxay
Oudoumxay - Phongsaly
Phongsaly - Muang Khoua
Muang Khoua - Oudomxai
Oudomxai - Luang Prabang
Luang Prabang - Vang Vieng
Vang Vieng - Vientiane
Vientiane - BKK

Thanks for your help

Jumosi

#1 jumosi has been a member since 22/6/2011. Posts: 1

Posted by Captain_Bob on 24/6/2011 at 21:52

I have used this guy in Vientiane a few times, and he can drive/guide all over Laos. Speaks decent English

Mr. Phan Tourist Information Taxi and Minivan Service
Email khampanh_k@yahoo.com
Tel. 856 20 56395971 or 020 77860631

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,918

Posted by christay2009 on 26/6/2011 at 02:21

This isn't AS helpful as Bob's post above as I have no contact details for you. However, I did meet some people who hired a driver down in Southern Laos. I forget where exactly but near the border with Cambodia and, I guess, it would have had to have been the next town with a tourist office.

Anyway, they hired an air conditioned mini van for that province for $30.00 USD a day from the local tourist office. I think this was EACH but cannot be sure. Once the agreed period/rental was over they negotiated to keep the car and driver all the way up to Vientiane. I believe the cost of this was $60.00 USD a day. I could not say if this included petrol but I do know they had to give the driver enough money for Petrol to get back again from Vientiane.

No idea if this is a good/bad deal but at least it is a point of reference!

#3 christay2009 has been a member since 8/2/2009. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 414
 Send christay2009 a private message 

Posted by orlavanh on 27/7/2011 at 16:46

I would recomment Europcar. their driver know well all part of Laos, and also Cambodia, Thailand, or Vietnam. But I' m not sure about the rate. you can check with them www.avrlaos.com .

enjoy your trip!

#4 orlavanh has been a member since 15/2/2011. Posts: 6

Posted by Lucievandongen on 25/3/2013 at 10:51

Hello,
I have been in contact with the driver Kamapanh.
I'd like to know if you was satisfied with him ( his english speaking, his knowledge for what to see and discover in north and center of Lao).
We will stay 17 days in may.
He asks us 105$ /day excluding gazoil.
Is it a good price?
thank you very much for your reply.
Best regards.
Lucie from Belgium.

#5 Lucievandongen has been a member since 18/3/2013. Posts: 1

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.