Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Homestay near Luang Prabang

Posted by Eireann on 28/6/2011 at 01:39

Hi all

I plan on being in LP for 5 nights in late July and just wondering if its possible to do a village homestay anywhere nearby? Are there any local tour operators that offer this? I know its possible to do it further north but I don't want to have to travel too far (though a few hours cycle/trek is fine). I had originally planned to do this as part of a tour in Vietnam but I think the Laos experience would be a bit more authentic....

#1 Eireann has been a member since 28/6/2011. Posts: 1

Posted by MADMAC on 28/6/2011 at 08:30

You can go stay at my father in laws house in Yasothon. He'll even give you work to do on the farm. It's 100% authentic - no non-Thais at all in that village, except when I go there to do a homestay. I suspect, though, you will find that authentic experience over-rated.

#2 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by wanderingcat on 3/7/2011 at 10:45

Are there any local tour operators that offer this?

just check at the various tour agency offices in the tourist part of town. there should be, cos a Lao friend who used to work for one of them as a trekking guide brought tourists to villages around Luang Prabang.

for authentic - try asking if a longer homestay can be arranged. almost all treks/tours = moving from village to village, spending only a short time (maximum one night) in each, just eating lunch or dinner, drinking, & then sleeping. you'll get a very different perspective by spending a longer time in one village, going through the 'full day cycle' of activities (read chores :P)...& as MADMAC said, you might end up with a different appreciation for the word 'authentic' ;)

#3 wanderingcat has been a member since 21/10/2006. Posts: 730
 Send wanderingcat a private message   Where has wanderingcat been?   Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.