Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

First time Backpacker to Laos

Posted by wengchun on 9/8/2011 at 10:20

Guys, do u think i manage to travel from Vietiane-Pakse-Luang Prabang- Van vieng- xieng khuong -Vietiane in 8 days? is really tough isnt it? cause i plan to spend few nites on sleeping bus. any advice? i going to Laos with a friend and i plan to explore on my own.

#1 wengchun has been a member since 9/8/2011. Posts: 2

Posted by busylizzy on 9/8/2011 at 10:39

Is that the order that you plan to travel in? If so, it doesn't make much sense, esp if going overland. Does your budget rule out flights?

Can you arrive in Pakse instead of VTE? If so, I would consider:
Pakse -> VTE -> XKH (fly) -> VTE (fly) -> VV -> LPG

Or given the relatively short period, skip out on Pakse altogether. How long were you going to be there anyhow? Unless you plan on travelling around the Plateau I don't believe there is much in Pakse itself.

I would suggest you check out the planning itineraries on this site. This would in particular might be most suitable for 8 days: https://www.travelfish.org/trip_planner/laos-one-week-holiday. There is good info about transit time between locations. Don't underestimate how long the travelling time is between destinations.

#2 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,153
 Send busylizzy a private message   Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by wengchun on 9/8/2011 at 10:51

Yeah. actually is a budget trip. i found is too rush if i wanted to travel to these places in 8 days. i plan go take sleeping bus as my transport. The problem is my flight is arrives at Vientiane and depart at Vientiane as well. rush hours in Laos, should i skip Pakse? gona missed Tadfane waterfall and 4000 islands. anyway,thanks for the advice! is great to have ppl reply my post =)

#3 wengchun has been a member since 9/8/2011. Posts: 2

Posted by MADMAC on 27/9/2011 at 12:09

I would skip Paxse and do it some other time. Eight days: Vietiane-Luang Prabang- Van vieng- xieng khuong -Vietiane, that is still rushed. I would say Vientiane, VV, Luang Prabang. That still gives you no more than three days in one location. It ain't a lot. Paxse? Too far if you can't fly, and too much even if you could.

#4 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by kiwigirlnz on 29/9/2011 at 07:58

I agree with madmac. Bus from LP to VV alone takes about 6 hrs! We did 2 nights Vientiane, 3 in VV and 3 in LP and that was plenty although I don't see how you could spend less than 2 nights in any of these places. In any case, you don't need to book accomodation or transport in Laos so you could change your trip as you go - that is the beauty about SE asia!

#5 kiwigirlnz has been a member since 17/8/2011. Posts: 15

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.