Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Muang Khua to Dien Bien Phu at Christmas

Posted by natalieh3005 on 28/9/2011 at 04:35

Apologies if this is a stupid question, but i will be in northern Laos just before Christmas and plan to do the route from Muang Khua to Dien Bien Phu - am I right in assuming that all the buses will still run daily, on Christmas eve and the days leading up to it? ( I know it's not really celebrated, but just wanted to check!!)

#1 natalieh3005 has been a member since 25/11/2010. Posts: 3

Posted by Rufus on 28/9/2011 at 16:35

Yes you are correct in assuming that they will run.

#2 Rufus has been a member since 22/4/2007. Location: Laos. Posts: 976
 Send Rufus a private message 

Posted by topogene88 on 8/10/2011 at 11:52

8 10 11
Oudom Xai
Natalieh3005, I am going that way in a couple of days I know the road from here to Muang Khua is good, basically flat, paved all the way but with lots of turns. Three hours and a bit normally. I can send you an up date from DBP when I arrive or after a few days.
Cheers Polesana

#3 topogene88 has been a member since 30/12/2008. Posts: 11

Posted by tf_geckozy on 11/11/2011 at 07:26

#3 post --to topogene88

Thank you for you post here!
I've just come back from Laos to my country via Viet Nam & China after 2 months of travelling.

Oct.2009 when i travelled from DBP to Muang Khua, the new road in Lao side was still under construction and since then till today i haven't heard and read any news how the road construction is , but just now i confirmed it's completion reading your post.

Next Feburuary i'll travel Laos and Viet Nam and i'll cross this border from Lao side.

Thank you one more time!

#4 tf_geckozy has been a member since 2/9/2008. Posts: 82

Posted by tf_geckozy on 13/11/2011 at 08:29

I mis-read #3 post because i'm not good at English so i easily misunderstand quite often even in your easy English.

It seems to me that the construction of the new road at Lao side has been still under onstruction since at least Oct.2009 when i saw it. If it's so, the road from Muang Khua to Lao border is still bad, especially after heavy raining between Muang Khua and Muang May.

March next year, i'll cross this border from Lao side.

#5 tf_geckozy has been a member since 2/9/2008. Posts: 82

Posted by jim1833 on 4/12/2011 at 08:42

Is the bridge in Muang Khua open? Or, is it still necessary to take the ferry? Ferry is nice local color but a hassle and expensive if you have to cross back and forth each day. Plus, arrival at any hour that is not judged to be convenient to the boat pilot results in heavy sur-charge.

#6 jim1833 has been a member since 4/12/2011. Posts: 1

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.