Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Help 2 weeks itinerary Laos

Posted by queensy83 on 24/10/2011 at 21:34

We are a 28 years old couple who are going to Laos in December for 2 weeks.

We have the following itinerary in mind:

2 nights Huay Xai (including 2 days-1night Gibbon Experience, already booked)
3 nights Luang Namtha including 1 or 2 nights trekking trip to hill tribe villages
2 nights Muang Khua/Nong Khiaw
3 nights Luang Prabang

And from here, we have two options:

Option 1:
2 nights Vang Vieng
2 nights Vientiane
Flight Vientiane - Phnom-Phen (or Siem Reap. Same price: 175 US$ one way with Lao Airlines)

Option 2:
Night bus LP to Vientiane
1 day Vientiane between nightbuses
Night bus Vientiane to Pakse
2 nights around Pakse (Boulaven Plateau or 4000 islands) and overland to Cambodia

What do you think of these two itineraries? Would you go for option 1 or option 2?

Regarding the budget, is 35 US$/day/person a reasonable amount? That would include budget to medium accommodation, food (street food and simple restaurants), local transport, sightseeing and giving ourselves a treat once in a while. And that would exclude Gibbon Experience and trip to hill tribe villages in Luang Namtha.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Best regards,
Sonsoles & Iván

#1 queensy83 has been a member since 23/10/2011. Posts: 2

Posted by caseyprich on 25/10/2011 at 13:52

There isn't that much you can do in Pakse for 2 nights, especially considering you'll arrive after a not very comfortable night bus from V. to Pakse. If you took off that day you could bike up to Tad Lo or Paksong for 1 night, returning the next day to Pakse so that you're in town the following morning when you'd be heading south to Cambodia. Usually people only do this route if they have a little more time and want to check out either Champasake (Wat Phu) or Si Phon Don (4,000 Islands) which is on the border with Cambodia.

Given that you're already exploring a lot of the North, I'd keep to a Northern Laos itnerary and save the south for if you decide to return some day. I actually have no experience with either Vang Vieng or Vientiane , and VV has its share of haters. However, those I've known who have visited it say you can go the party route or find your own way to enjoy it - after all it is beautiful. And as for Vientiane - may as well give the capital two nights to kick your feet up before you fly out.

You can get budget accomodation for 5-10 USD a room, except maybe in Luang Prabang which I hear is feeling the bite, so split between two people I think that won't be a problem. Food isn't expensive so I think you should be okay with this budget.

#2 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Send caseyprich a private message   Where has caseyprich been? 

Posted by johnbarrington on 25/10/2011 at 23:58

I stayed in really nice accommodation in Luang Prabang, i think it was about 10 USD but i had my own apartment! It's a gorgeous town! we had only planned on staying there for a few days but fell in love with it and stayed for 2 weeks! I wonder if you'll feel the same way...

#3 johnbarrington has been a member since 19/10/2011. Posts: 22

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.