Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Odd prices for Bangkok-Luang Prabang flights

Posted by lioninzion on 18/2/2007 at 21:53

Howdy all,
I wondered if anyone could shed some light on the peculiarly large differences in prices for one-way flights between Bangkok and Luang Prabang.

Bangkok Airways' website quotes the lowest price as 7750 baht ($232), including all taxes.

The Lao Airlines wesbite (the real one, not the cheeky Paris travel agency imposters) quotes Bangkok-Luang Prabang flights for 4000 baht ($120).

This seems like a ludicrously large difference. Can Lao Airlines really be that much cheaper? Even with taxes (around $50) they are still substantially cheaper. Perhaps I'm just unhealthily suspicious...

#1 lioninzion has been a member since 18/2/2007. Posts: 1

Posted by exacto on 19/2/2007 at 08:52

Hey Lion,

I can only guess that Lao Airlines is pushing the promotional fare to build a market share on that route. I think they only started flying that route a few months ago.

I've flown both Lao and Bangkok Airways and they are both decent. If you can book it, definitely go for the cheaper fare. Regards.

#2 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,685
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Posted by somtam2000 on 19/2/2007 at 09:24 admin

I'd agree with exacto -- Lao Airlines -- $120 - that's a great price.

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,706
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by rplunkett71 on 21/2/2007 at 20:01

Thanks folks, I'll go ahead with Lao Airlines. Much appreciated.

#4 rplunkett71 has been a member since 4/2/2007. Posts: 1

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.