Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

From Vientiane to Trat - whats the best possibility?

Posted by vild on 22/11/2011 at 11:32

Hi,
after our roundtrip in Laos we finish in Vientiane . Our next destination is Ko Chang. Is there a easy possibility to get from Vientiane directly to Trat so that we don't have to pass Bangkok? Maybe with bus?
I hope someone can give me some advise how to manage....
Thanks.

#1 vild has been a member since 5/11/2011. Posts: 2

Posted by wanderingcat on 22/11/2011 at 18:58

Vientiane to Nakhon Ratchasima - one direct bus per day from Khua Din bus station: http://laomeow.blogspot.com/2010/01/vientiane-khua-din-bus-station.html (2nd last photo)

then Nakhon Ratchasima to Chanthaburi by bus, then another bus to Trat (think there is no direct bus).

#2 wanderingcat has been a member since 21/10/2006. Posts: 730
 Send wanderingcat a private message   Where has wanderingcat been?   Website 

Posted by frasmc on 23/11/2011 at 00:36

I just got to Koh Chang yesterday after leaving Vang Vieng on Monday with a connection in Vientiane and I did go through Bangkok. The trip from Vientiane was so easy and convenient that I doubt it would be significantly improved by avoiding Bangkok aside from maybe costing a bit less.

From Vientiane I took the night bus to Bangkok (not sure of the price from Vientiane. I paid 240k kip for Vang Vieng to Bangkok). The bus was comfortable, only 1/4 full, included stop for a free dinner, and arrived in Bangkok early (420am instead of 6am). I used the extra time to grab a meal at a 24 hour restaurant on Soi Rambutri before cabbing it to Ekamai for the 7:45am bus to Laem Ngob pier (452 baht return ticket). Ferry to Koh Chang (80 baht) then sangthaew to Lonely beach (100 baht). Between Vientiane and being settled in a guesthouse here it only took 21 hours (shuttle to the border/night bus left Nam Phu fountain just after a 5pm and by the time I had found a bungalow I liked it was almost 2pm).

#3 frasmc has been a member since 28/11/2005. Posts: 29
 Send frasmc a private message   Website   Twitter 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.