Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Kids stuff to do in Laos...??

Posted by GermanCoastgirl on 16/1/2012 at 13:24

Hi All,

I have already posted in the Kid's forum but maybe you also have some advice here as well as in the Thailand forum.

I will be travelling Laos and Thailand for 6 weeks with my almost 6-year old, starting finally on Feb, 5th.

Now it comes to finetuning and I could need some advise on what to do with a kid in Vientiane, VangVieng (no, no tubing, just observing) and Luang Prabang.... anything really great that you remember? We'll definitely spend half of the vacation jumping into waterholes, visiting a few temples, riding on an Elephant (Patara Elephant Farm), beaching..... but still have enough time left, I suppose (besides relaxing and playing games...).
Same with Chiang Mai, BKK, KohLanta and Koh YaoNoi.

Thanks so much for your experiences and ideas!!

Cheers, Birgit

#1 GermanCoastgirl has been a member since 16/2/2011. Posts: 23
 Send GermanCoastgirl a private message   Website 

Posted by Rufus on 16/1/2012 at 18:05

Eigentlich nich sehr viel. Du koenntest vielleich zu Buddha Park fahren . In Vientiane gibt es auch ein Water Park, und dann selbstverstaendlich den Markt.

#2 Rufus has been a member since 22/4/2007. Location: Laos. Posts: 976
 Send Rufus a private message 

Posted by exacto on 16/1/2012 at 22:10

Buddha Park, the water park, and then a tour of the market. Sounds good. What about a walk along the waterfront? A visit to the Anousaouri Arch? I'd definitely make the trip out to That Luang with kids too.

Rufus, are there any kite-flying areas or stuff like which kids might enjoy? Are there still cultural shows that kids could attend?

Your german is impressive by the way - much better than mine. I think MADMAC speaks german too. Anyone else? Cheers.

#3 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,685
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Posted by GermanCoastgirl on 17/1/2012 at 01:55

Rufus, pretty impressive German ! ;-)

Thanks for your advice. I will definitely put them on my list.
In fact all my son needs is nature, animals, plants, water and some air. So, I bet, I will be fine.... ;-)
And I suppose, getting in touch with the locals/kids won't be much of problem, right?

I thought of taking some balloons with us. a) they are light weight and b) this always works for the kids instead of expensive toys: Just blow up a balloon, tie a cord on it and off they go... ;-)

Only a couple of more days to go and we are finally off.... cannot wait ! ;-)
Cheers.

#4 GermanCoastgirl has been a member since 16/2/2011. Posts: 23
 Send GermanCoastgirl a private message   Website 

Posted by Rufus on 17/1/2012 at 02:59

There are some areas along the Mekong where you could do kite flying. The cultural shows are more part of the restaurant scene these days eg Kua Lao and Tamnak Lao both have a dinner show. This sounds tacky, but seriously it isn't.

#5 Rufus has been a member since 22/4/2007. Location: Laos. Posts: 976
 Send Rufus a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.