Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Luang Prabang accommodation

Posted by stevewilkes on 17/1/2012 at 15:36

Any recommendations on good guest houses for LP for a five day stop over. Were flying in on the 2nd February.

What are the must see's of LP and places to eat?

#1 stevewilkes has been a member since 10/1/2012. Posts: 9

Posted by Rufus on 17/1/2012 at 18:13

The must sees are whatever interests you. What interests me may be boring to you. Get a good guidbook and read it.
A good gh is Muong Lao Riverside.

#2 Rufus has been a member since 22/4/2007. Location: Laos. Posts: 976
 Send Rufus a private message 

Posted by MADMAC on 18/1/2012 at 04:37

Go to S Bar on Wednesday night. Salsa night there!

#3 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by tf_geckozy on 18/1/2012 at 15:39

There are so many Ghs in Luang Prabang today and finding a good Gh is one more pleasure for you so please find it for yourself with no helping by others for avoiding complainig to someone who recommend if/when it's no good(no good room, no good service etc) to you.

#4 tf_geckozy has been a member since 2/9/2008. Posts: 82

Posted by busylizzy on 18/1/2012 at 17:48

tf_geckozy - that's not very helpful! That's what the forum is all about - getting recommendations and info from others so that someone has a better chance of avoiding the crap places!

Anyhow Steve.... what's your budget in terms of guesthouses? I stayed in Lao Wooden House for $25/night which I thought was really nice (It's listed here in the LP Accom section and I've posted about it elsewhere so do a search...) But it really depends on your budget.

There are so many places to eat that it would be hard to recommend any. I found some good ones along the riverfront that were reasonable and generally did good food - but couldn't tell you the names?!

#5 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,153
 Send busylizzy a private message   Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by stevewilkes on 19/1/2012 at 16:47

Busy lizzy
many thanks for the support and the forum has been invaluable. Have a budget of about 20 dollars for LP and less for the rest of the trip around Laos. Going Luang Namtha, Muang Sing, Down the Nam Ou river staying the villages enroute back to LP. Then a week in the South of Laos.

#6 stevewilkes has been a member since 10/1/2012. Posts: 9

Posted by christay2009 on 20/1/2012 at 06:55

Check out 'Chansavang Guest house'

They have private bungalows round the back for less than $20.00 USD. I can't remember exactly but mayhaps around 100,000 - 120,000 kip.

I can vouch for the staff here and had no trouble with security over 8 weeks living there.

Good location too. Far enough away from the main street while close walking distance to everything. It is kind of near L'Stranger Bookshop or Hive Bar - I think one of those should be on the TF map online. If you do stay there, I can direct you to some good places to eat too.

#7 christay2009 has been a member since 8/2/2009. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 414
 Send christay2009 a private message 

Posted by christay2009 on 20/1/2012 at 06:57

The best thing I did in LP was ... rent a bike.

#8 christay2009 has been a member since 8/2/2009. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 414
 Send christay2009 a private message 

Posted by keepontravellin on 20/1/2012 at 15:10

We stayed at GH Sakharinh. Plain but very clean, very friendly and very central. Also has the best noodle stall in LP at top of street.

My recommendation for things to do in LP is to do a course run by Ok Top Pop. We did Hmong batik and had such a fun morning.

Another thing is Lao cooking at TamNakLao.

Best place to eat is by the river - numerous little places but you'll soon identify a favourite or two.

#9 keepontravellin has been a member since 4/1/2012. Posts: 2

Posted by Rufus on 21/1/2012 at 01:50

"Another thing is Lao cooking at TamNakLao."
Perhaps you mean Tamnak Lao?

#10 Rufus has been a member since 22/4/2007. Location: Laos. Posts: 976

Posted by MADMAC on 21/1/2012 at 03:00

And, of course, don't forget the Karaoke - a staple of life in SEA.

#11 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by stevewilkes on 24/1/2012 at 00:42

Sounds great. were going to definetly hire out a motorbike or push bike. Do a cookery course. Watch the sunset/sunrise from the hill and go for a walk across the river at chomphet.

Is the plain of jars worth a visit? Where off to laos next week and my itinerary is still very flexible. Vang Vieng? yes or no. Can I get more detailed maps of laos at L'estranger book shop?

#12 stevewilkes has been a member since 10/1/2012. Posts: 9

Posted by Rufus on 24/1/2012 at 18:16

Hmmmm. "And, of course, don't forget the Karaoke - a staple of life in SEA."
Karaokes here might give him a bit of a surprise, especially in the VIP rooms.

#13 Rufus has been a member since 22/4/2007. Location: Laos. Posts: 976

Posted by stevewilkes on 25/1/2012 at 00:47

VIP rooms?? Please do tell, im intrigued??

#14 stevewilkes has been a member since 10/1/2012. Posts: 9

Posted by daawgon on 30/1/2012 at 13:47

Luang Prabang has all prices of accommodations. I think I was very lucky because both places I stayed were very nice. Manichan GH was excellent (fantastic breakfast) and the cheaper Souksavath GH (behind JOMA bakery) was very nice, clean and friendly. No need to spend big on those overpriced hotels - who spends time in their rooms in LP, anyway?

When it comes to food, this town is full of good places. Only bad place I found was the Coconut Restaurant. Try the Scandinavian Bakery for the best pizza. JOMA Bakery has American breakfasts.

#15 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,133
 Send daawgon a private message 

Posted by MADMAC on 30/1/2012 at 22:08

"VIP rooms?? Please do tell, im intrigued??"

I call it the elephant in the room daawgon. The thing here everyone doesn't talk about, but it's extremely visible all the time. Prostitution. It's a deeply rooted part of the culture in these parts. A relatively new culutral phenomenon is Karaoke. THAT has taken Asia by storm. It's equally ubiquitous. Not surprisingly, they formed an unholy union so Karaoke bars are quite often used as fronts for prostitution. But you can go to a Karaoke place that has prostitutes and still just do the music thing. Or you can do it in the company of a lady and do nothing more than buy her a drink and talk. Or you can buy her out of the bar... I don't know the deal on VIP rooms - but your imagination should be able to work it out from the above.

Rufus, you'd better give him the caution concerning this phenomenon in Laos however!

#16 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by Rufus on 31/1/2012 at 18:11

It is relatively safe in Vientiane.

#17 Rufus has been a member since 22/4/2007. Location: Laos. Posts: 976

Posted by MADMAC on 31/1/2012 at 21:19

Relatively safe in that he could partake and not be arrested, or relatively safe in that the VIP karaoke bars are free from working girls? Savanakhet, or so I've been told, the gestapo are out in force checking for naughty foreigners with Laos girls.

#18 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by daawgon on 2/2/2012 at 13:16

"Can I get more detailed maps of laos at L'estranger book shop?"

Don't know about the shop, but Hobomaps has excellent maps online for all the major stops in Laos - I believe they are the same as the hard copy ones in the stores?

#19 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,133
 Send daawgon a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.