Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

1 month rough itinerary, what am I missing?

Posted by whardy on 10/2/2012 at 04:42

Hello everyone, my girlfriend and I are traveling Laos for a month from mid-march to mid-april. We've done quite a bit of research, on this site and forum and beyond, but we wanted to ask the gracious members of the forum for further advice.

A bit about us, we're in the backpacker budget range looking to spend about $1,000 USD/person for the month. We're very active, looking for exciting treks, and a mix of on and off the beaten trail stuff. We're going to hit up the usual stuff, unless there's something to be avoided in favor of something better. I drive motorbike, and can speak Thai and a bit of Issan Laos so we're not afraid to go off on our own.

Ok, here's the places we've keyed in on. We'd appreciate if you'd recommend a better place, or think the place isn't worth the stop.
Slow boat to LP, north to Nong Kiaow, Phongsali for a trek? (heard it's less touristy than Luang Namtha), Plain of Jars (1 day), quick stop in Savanakhet, Pakse, motorbike loop through Salavan, Sekong, and Tad Lo, before ending with some chill time in 4,000 islands.

Suggestions? We would consider flying north to South to avoid the long bus from VN, but not sure if it's necessary because we're stopping off to see Savanakhet. Thank you TF community!

#1 whardy has been a member since 14/11/2011. Posts: 66

Posted by MADMAC on 10/2/2012 at 08:45

Flying would be pricey, and given your budget and the fact that you want to see Savanakhet anyway, I'd say suck it up and take the bus. Have a good trip.

#2 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by caseyprich on 11/2/2012 at 00:15

Agree with Madmac. I'd fit in Champasak between the Bolaven loop and 4,000 islands. It's a nice place to stop for two nights. I imagine you've already been to Luang Prabang (as it is isn't in your itinerary)?

#3 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Send caseyprich a private message   Where has caseyprich been? 

Posted by whardy on 11/2/2012 at 06:27

I'll be taking the slow boat from Chiang Kong to Luang Prabang. I'm excited for that to be my landing point in Laos.

Champasak eh? I was wondering if it was worth a stop on the way further south. I'd like to see Wat Phu, but wasn't sure if there was much more beyond that than a sleepy Laos town. Thanks for the advice guys.

#4 whardy has been a member since 14/11/2011. Posts: 66

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.