Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

getting Chinese Visa and boarder crossing in Laos

Posted by Thomasbreakwell on 16/2/2012 at 23:15

hi all, sorry if this post is in the wrong place but.....
im Australian and will be in Laos around November and ideally want to cross the boarder into Yunnan, China from Laos,
there is alot of conflicting information on most of the popular forums about whether i will be able to get a chinese visa in any part of Laos (i need a 90 day visa) and if it is possible or realistic to cross the Laos/chinese boarder lately.
i will be staying with a friend who is a Laotian local, would he be able to help me get a visa i wonder?
any advice or tips would be appreciated. i'm also very flexible so if i were able to do a similar thing from vietnam i would if i can't in Laos...

Cheers
tom

#1 Thomasbreakwell has been a member since 10/1/2012. Posts: 1

Posted by Rufus on 17/2/2012 at 19:53

You can get a visa in Vientiane.

#2 Rufus has been a member since 22/4/2007. Location: Laos. Posts: 976
 Send Rufus a private message 

Posted by captainbkk on 19/2/2012 at 01:21

maybe. Help of that local friend means nothing at all-what could s/he do, answer please? In fact official Lao law is that it is forbidden for westerner and laotian to stay together.....
The point is : for westerners,, China is busy tightening its visa rules. How much time you get is decided by them NOT you. You must now show air and hotelbookings. Vnam was always much worse in that respect and often simply refused westerners without permanent stays there. 1st time visitors often only get 30 daystays.
the best place was always BKK-here, but they have tightened since 1/12-tr. agents can help out with fake for a small sum for those papers. How this will affect laos is at the mo unclear.

#3 captainbkk has been a member since 16/2/2012. Posts: 472

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.