Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

How sucky is it to travel by bus?

Posted by grak88 on 23/2/2012 at 21:25

Hello fellow fish. I am in Don Det right now. Just got here after a long bus journey from Cambodia. Thinking of travelling by bus to Vientiane and Vang Vieng. My question to anyone who has done it is this: HOW BAD IS THE RIDE AND THE ROADS?

My research online says it sucks. The people I have talked to here say it sucks (especially the part between Vientiane and Vang Vieng. Any other stories?

I think it's like 12 hours from Four Thousand Islands to Vientiane. I don't know if I should brave it or shell out the dough to just fly from Pakse. The ride from Cambodia was bearable although we broke it up into three days from Siem Reap.

Is there anything between Four Thousand Island and Vientiane that would make a crappy long bus ride worth it? Thanks in advance.

#1 grak88 has been a member since 24/1/2012. Posts: 17

Posted by caseyprich on 23/2/2012 at 21:52

Plenty to do on the way if you want to do the journey in stages - depends on how much time you have to spare. I'd head up to Pakse one morning and rent motorbikes before lunch - still gives you time to bike out to Tad Lo before sunset and spend a couple nights in that area with the bike (or take on the whole Bolaven Plateau: https://www.travelfish.org/feature/83).

On return to Pakse, I'd say stay a night there, it is a nice quiet town with some cool spots to eat and drink along the Mekong. Take a morning VIP bus (if you really don't like bus-rides avoid the locals) to Savannahket - which is ok for colonial architecture, but good for a night or two. You can then catch another bus up to Tha Khaek, though I've not been many people go out of the way to see the caves around there. Then you're onto Vientinne. So, plenty of little one or two night stops to break up the journey and get off the path a little bit before you go from partying at 4,000 Islands to partying at Vang Vieng.

#2 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Send caseyprich a private message   Where has caseyprich been? 

Posted by MADMAC on 24/2/2012 at 04:39

Casey has this one nailed. Break it up, and then the bus rides will only suck a little.

#3 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by Rasheeed on 26/2/2012 at 20:18

I dunno. Did the night bus 4,000-Pakse-Vientiane and back. Not a terrible trip. Better if you go with someone so you don't have to share a bed with a random. But i went alone and wasn't bad. Slept a lot.

#4 Rasheeed has been a member since 4/11/2010. Location: Cambodia. Posts: 311
 Send Rasheeed a private message   Website   Twitter 

Posted by grak88 on 26/2/2012 at 20:33

Thanks everyone. Think we'll make a stop in Pakse and maybe the caves!

#5 grak88 has been a member since 24/1/2012. Posts: 17

Posted by altmtl on 27/2/2012 at 05:06

Khong Lor is a must see. And yes the buses suck. You may want to consider mini vans once in a while.

#6 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 996
 Send altmtl a private message   Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.