Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Nong khai to vientiane border crossing

Posted by Bernardo on 18/5/2012 at 04:24

Hi, I am intending to cross the border at Nong Khai / Vientiane. I know I need a passport photo and US$30.00. Can I get the visa at a travel agency in bangkok? I am crossing the border with a hire van. What documentation do I need to have? how do I obtain the documentation? how much will it cost? Can I get the hire van documentation at a travel agency in bangkok?, to cross the border with the hire van? Also, If I buy a sim card for my phone in Thailand, will my phone be able to ring a number in Laos and work in Laos? Thanks

#1 Bernardo has been a member since 18/5/2012. Posts: 2

Posted by Captain_Bob on 18/5/2012 at 05:55

Generally you can't take a rented vehicle across the border. At a minimum you need written permission from the owner but there may be other complications. I usually leave my car on the Thai side where there are parking facilities for 100 baht per day. Anyway they drive on the right in Laos so that could be another problem. The visa on arrival cost is $30-42 depending on your nationality. You can get a Laos visa in Bangkok via an agent but of course it will cost more and take longer. Getting it on arrival makes more sense. Most Thai SIM cards can get a signal from Vientiane if you are near the river, and some carriers like True have roaming. Otherwise it's cheap and easy to get a Laos SIM with prepay.

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,891

Posted by Bernardo on 18/5/2012 at 06:13

Hi Capt Bob. Dont they allow rentals to cross? What other complications?, which you refer to, would one expect? From NZ have been informed $30 for visa at border. Thanks for your info, much appreciated. Cheers.

#3 Bernardo has been a member since 18/5/2012. Posts: 2

Posted by Captain_Bob on 21/5/2012 at 08:20

If you're a Kiwi yes it's $30USD for the Laos visa. But no, customs generally don't allow a rented vehicle to go across the border. Of course you'll want to ask this question with the car rental agency, but I seriously doubt they will agree to that. I have taken my motorbike between Thailand and Laos and you have to be the registered owner and complete a customs declaration form for both countries.

#4 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,891

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.