Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Big Brother Mouse - Luang Prabang

Posted by sianbevans on 8/7/2012 at 20:29

Hello,
I am travelling solo for the first time in Laos and am spending a majority of my time in Luang Prabang (8 days). I would like to do a bit of sightseeing and some volunteering. I have come across the Big Brother Mouse website and was wondering about others' experiences with this organisation? I'll definitely drop in and help with conversational English while there but has anyone gone along on a Book Party visit?
Any feedback would be appreciated!
Cheers :)

#1 sianbevans has been a member since 8/7/2012. Posts: 4

Posted by enday on 13/9/2012 at 08:35

Hi,
I helped with English conversation 4 times at Big Brother mouse and highly recommend it!
Its all young adults so popping in to help out is better than something to do with children, I believe.
All the 'students' are very grateful for your time and help, particularly in the low tourist season when there are fewer travellers around.
I found out so much more about Laos from my conversations with the young people here. It is definitely worthwhile, simple help with pronunciation was the really valuable contribution I could make as most had quite a large written vocabulary in English (don't count on this being the case always) there is a shortage of native english speakers though, and education is very expensive in Laos so just having conversations is perfect for improving language skills!
Bring along pen and paper if you have them and have fun!

#2 enday has been a member since 12/9/2012. Posts: 30

Posted by daawgon on 13/9/2012 at 12:03

Another similar place nearby - Lenou's Library needs volunteers to help with English. Watch the video:

http://www.eidolonfilms.com/2011/10/06/lenous-library/

#3 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,111

Posted by Rufus on 14/9/2012 at 01:49

BBM is a for profit organisation. Now there is nothing wrong with that, however i would prefer to donate money to Room To Read.

#4 Rufus has been a member since 22/4/2007. Location: Laos. Posts: 973

Posted by enday on 14/9/2012 at 03:41

Yep, money elsewhere I agree. Is room to read the public library? If not, the library also accept donations for their book boat and go to more remote villages than BBM.
But time, BBM or any place where you assist adults. At BBM all the people are there because they are making an effort to access english language skills to enhance work prospects.... and its really rewarding and fun!

#5 enday has been a member since 12/9/2012. Posts: 30

Posted by Rufus on 14/9/2012 at 19:02

No, RTR is an organisation that supplies books to Lao kids. It is non profit.

#6 Rufus has been a member since 22/4/2007. Location: Laos. Posts: 973

Posted by sianbevans on 16/9/2012 at 22:55

Thank you everyone for the replies. I will take your advice on board and would like to visit both places.
Cheers.

#7 sianbevans has been a member since 8/7/2012. Posts: 4

Posted by chopin on 27/9/2012 at 04:49

hi, what is RTR?

are there any other similar non-profit language classes that we can help in LP? we'd be there in two weeks' time.

#8 chopin has been a member since 28/4/2007. Posts: 154

Posted by wanderingcat on 27/9/2012 at 06:36

RTR = Room to Read.

language classes - sometimes students invite foreign tourists they meet to their classes, but those are not non-profit places. there's also a programme that gets foreign volunteers to teach English classes in a few local schools, but that is a long term commitment with requirements to meet & screening of candidates.

for short-term drop-in, please see this: http://www.lao-kids.org/visiting-volunteering.php

#9 wanderingcat has been a member since 21/10/2006. Posts: 730
 Where has wanderingcat been?   Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.