Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Night Bus from Vang Vieng to Luang Prabang

Posted by aik_yong2002 on 16/7/2012 at 04:00

Hi, planning to go Laos in October and travel from Vientiane - Vang Vieng - Luang Prabang . Is there an overnight bus or minivan that travel from Vang Vieng to Luang Prabang (since there are buses leaving Vientiane to Luang Prabang at night)? I tried to search online but only found morning buses. I have a tight schedule and travel in daytime will waste the sightseeing time.

Thanks.

#1 aik_yong2002 has been a member since 8/5/2012. Posts: 5

Posted by Captain_Bob on 17/7/2012 at 01:31

Some of the best scenery is the journey itself between Vang Vieng and Luang Prabang. I would not take a night bus along this route, it's so hilly and twisty you'd never get an ounce of sleep and the road can be dangerous for a sleepy driver. Laos is not a country to be rushed through. Give it time or skip it altogether.

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,902

Posted by ehenness on 19/7/2012 at 15:04

I agree with Captain Bob.

I don't recall there being a night bus, but I wouldn't do it anyhow! Gorgeous scenery on this route, and there are some great stops for photos. The 'bus' isn't big - they are vans, and I thought the small factor made it great for meeting other travelers.
It's not a long trip either compared to many others in Asia.

#3 ehenness has been a member since 22/3/2011. Location: Canada. Posts: 18

Posted by stoneman on 23/7/2012 at 07:52

When I visited I wasn't aware of any night vans. I would not travel at night anyway because 1. as stated, the safety factor 2. you miss the scenery and 3. Vien to VV is 3-4hrs & VV to LP is 5hrs so arriving in the middle of the night is impractical.

#4 stoneman has been a member since 8/5/2010. Location: Australia. Posts: 100

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.