Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Vietnam and Laos

Posted by agnes_wyee on 22/4/2007 at 18:19

Hi

I'll be travelling from Central to Southern Vietnam starting from Hue to Saigon (going from Phnom Penh). I had done Hanoi and Halong Bay in a different trip.

My tentative itinery is (can be changed):
Phnom Penh - Hue (fly)
Hue - Danang/ Hoi An (bus)
Danang - Nha Trang (fly)
Nha Trang - Saigon (fly)
*Maybe: Saigon - Mui Ne (bus) & Can Tho

I saw one of your articles mentioned Con Dao and Phu Quoc. Where exactly is these two places (cannot find in the map) and how do I get there?

I am considering to extend this trip to Southern Laos as well. But I am not too sure how to cross the border. Can I take a bus from Hue or Danang straight to Pakse? From 4 Thousand Islands, what is the best way to go back to Vietnam or Phnom Penh? Should I include Vientiene and Luong Prabang into the itinery? I have maximum 14 days for this trip. And how can I split the days?

I don't mind reversing the journey, ie: Laos first then Vietnam.

Any ideas on this?

Thanks
Agnes

#1 agnes_wyee has been a member since 22/4/2007. Posts: 2

Posted by somtam2000 on 24/4/2007 at 14:26 admin

Hi Agnes,

Sorry for the late reply, I just saw your post!

In answer to your questions - Con Dao Islands are around 250km offshore from HCMC - you need to fly there.

Phu Quoc Island is south --actually off the coast of Cambodia. Quickest way is to fly there from Saigon.

A few thoughts:

Crossing from Hue/Da Nang into laos will most likely take you via the Lao Bao crossing to the lao town of Savannakhet -- from there you could organise transport south to Pakse and Si Phan Don (4,000 Islands).

From Si Phan Don it is a straightforward trip south over the border and south to Phnom Penh. You can read all about the Lao/Cambodia border crossing here. There's a new crossing that has opened up at Bo Y -- it's between the Lao town of Attapeu and Kon Tum in Vietnam's Central Highlands -- see the Border crossing FAQ for more info on that one.

With only two weeks, I think you'll be flat out coverign what you have listed without adding Luang prabang or Vientiane.

One last thing, are you sure you can fly Phnom Penh to Hue -- that's not a route that I'm aware of...

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,710
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by agnes_wyee on 25/4/2007 at 20:24

Thanks for the tips.

The flight from Phnom Penh to Hue is with a transit through Saigon.

#3 agnes_wyee has been a member since 22/4/2007. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.