Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

LP -> VV -> Vientiane or the opposite direction?

Posted by EugeneS on 2/8/2012 at 04:52

Hi folks!

Me and my wife will be traveling in North Thailand (Chiang Mai) in October and our next stop is Laos. After Laos we plan to continue to Hanoi (Vietnam).

The main places we want to visit in Laos are: Luang Prabang, Vang Vieng and Vientiane . However I'm curious what would be the best route for us? If we start in Chiang Mai, I though of 2 following options:

1. Going all the way to Udon Thani and enter Lao side via Friendship border passage which brings us directly to Vientiane. In this case we will do Vientiane -> VV -> LP and then fly from LP to Hanoi.
2. Entering Laos through Chiang Kong and then continuing in the opposite direction than in the first option. This would be then Chiang Kong -> LP -> VV -> Vientiane and the fly to Hanoi.

What do you think? Which way is more reasonable?

#1 EugeneS has been a member since 8/7/2012. Posts: 3

Posted by caseyprich on 2/8/2012 at 10:50

I'd recommend the 2nd option.

#2 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Send caseyprich a private message   Where has caseyprich been? 

Posted by Captain_Bob on 2/8/2012 at 13:59

I would do the 2nd option simply because it is a lot closer and more scenic from Chiang Mai to Chiang Khong in the north than it is to the Friendship bridge near Vientiane . Also flights to Hanoi are slightly cheaper from Vientiane than from Luang Prabang.

#3 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,911

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.