Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Train from Laos to Bangkok

Posted by IvybridgeClan on 15/10/2012 at 21:47

We are in Luang Prabang this New Year and then travelling to Bangkok. Considering bus/fly options to Vientiane , we are worried about the bus ride and how safe this is along mountainous, winding roads? Had terrible experience in minibus in Cambodia! Are accidents and breakdowns common/rare on this route LP to VV? Also, catching overnight train to Bangkok. If we do not stay in Vientiane overnight, but arrive during the day (on bus/flight), how much time will we need to allow in order to make it to the border for the train connection? Is this realistic or better to overnight in Vientiane?

#1 IvybridgeClan has been a member since 15/10/2012. Posts: 1

Posted by DLuek on 15/10/2012 at 21:59 TF writer

Trains currently depart from Nong Khai to Bangkok at 06:00, 18:20 and 19:20. Check www.railway.co.th for all your train schedule questions.

There are no trains in Laos as far as I know, so you'll have to take the bus or else hire a private car or fly from LP to Bangkok, which is expensive on Bangkok Airways. I've never done the bus from LP to Vientiane so can't comment on safety. I've heard it's a long and slow ride.

#2 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,176
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by enday on 18/10/2012 at 08:17

The flight from LP to Vientiane is around $90.
A website called seat 61 has really good info about the train, how much time you'll need etc. I don't think you'll need a night in Vientiane if you don't want to
Someone else will have to add info about the bus, I took the train-flight route!

#3 enday has been a member since 12/9/2012. Posts: 30

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.