The first one was due to "excessive partying" (whatever that means!) few details so far on second one other than to say they were friends. Very odd.
Second Australian man, Nick Parkin, dies in Laos following death of Kane Scriven on New Year's Day
Looks like a bad batch of drugs. Both were friends travelling together. Another Australian man got methonol poisoning and died in Indo this week from the local brew. I wondered whether it was the same here, but no.
#6 Red_Eye has been a member since 9/1/2013. Posts: 3
That home brew (rice wine) they sell all over SE Asia can be a real problem. Deaths have also been reported in Vietnam due to alcohol poisoning, recently.
#7 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,111
I heard the young man's dad on the radio last night. Very sad. He was drinking cocktails in Ruddy's bar on Gilli T in Lombok. The bar must have been mixing in arak with the vodka.
Do you get deaths in Laos from that Lao Lao they sell everywhere?
#8 Red_Eye has been a member since 9/1/2013. Posts: 3
Anytime something is home brewed in a rural environment, there is a small element of risk of alcohol poisoning. This is true whether it's the US, Africa or Laos.
As for Lao Cao (or lao lao as I saw it here described) that is a commercial product sold where I live (Thai border town). It is absolutely horrible, but it's cheap, so it's the booze of choice for poor alcoholics. Even my rice farmer father in law (who doesn't have a lot of money) won't drink it. Of course, he's not an alcoholic.
#10 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
Well my friend, there is no accounting for taste. Lao Cao would make a billy goat puke.
#12 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
There is not only the risk of alcohol poisening, there is also always a risk of food poisening.
But that applies to all countries, no matter if Laos, China or USA. My dad was close to death after eating clams in south france. Of course it is bad if they mix a brand liquor with some local brew to safe money and risk your health. That should be punished. but as I just wrote, there is always a basic risk, because you never follow the product from the source.
I am more worried about cases like in Krabi or Phi Phi with unknown cause of death or rapes.
And don't get me wrong, I am very sorry for these 2 poor guys and their families.
#13 freiburger has been a member since 27/12/2012. Posts: 125
Australian media has a story on the unfortunate guy who died drinking on Gili Trawangan -- the bar is apparently still selling tainted drinks...
It's my understanding you need to drink about 10ml of methanol to have a good chance of going blind and 30 ml to get extremely ill or die -- going on the results from their sample, the guy would have needed to drink around 50 lime & vodkas...
Now I don't know about you, but that strikes me as an awful lot of booze. If I drank 50 lime & vodkas I'd be in a very bad way -- with or without even the methanol...
I'm not excusing the bar doing this, but it does seem there is a little more to the story and does explain why not all their clientele are dying. Obviously the bar needs to be stopped from doing what it is, but perhaps also, not only watch what you drink, but also how much you drink.