Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Getting from Vietiane to Kong Lo cave?

Posted by Badgerboyjon on 5/2/2013 at 04:44

Hi guys

Massive apologies if this has been asked before, I have looked and can't find the exact answer I need so here goes...

We are currently in Vientiane and have to stay here to sort an extended Thai Visa for later in the trip. We really don't want to stay here any longer than we have to so wanted to try and get to Kong Lo or Ban Khoun Kam after we have picked up our visa (which we can only do between 1-3 in the afternoon.)

We have asked around and there is only one direct bus to Kong Lo that leaves at 10am so that doesn't work. We were considering getting on an afternoon bus to Tha Khaek (if there are such things) and getting off at the junction to route 8 but were wondering if this would be wise as it will be dark when we get there and there is no guarantee of being able to get from that junction to where we need to go. Has anyone done this before, or does anyone know of any other ways to get there?

Any help will be much appreciated, thanks in advance!

#1 Badgerboyjon has been a member since 5/2/2013. Posts: 1

Posted by dmcbane on 16/2/2013 at 11:11

Even after dark, you will almost certainly be able to get a ride at the junction. Songthaew run until pretty late and they know that people will be getting off the buses from Vientiane. Someone will be there to give you a ride, as they would not pass up an opportunity to make some money. If you need more information about getting to Kong Lo Cave, you can try this Kong Lo travel guide.

#2 dmcbane has been a member since 1/10/2012. Location: Germany. Posts: 3
 Website   Twitter   Google+   Pinterest 

Posted by altmtl on 16/2/2013 at 21:56

I love Kong Lo - stayed for 3 days... ::)

#3 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 996
 Send altmtl a private message   Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.