Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

How bad is weather in Vietnam in late May?

Posted by nicolad93 on 8/2/2013 at 06:01

I will be travelling Thailand and Vietnam between March and April but I can't decide whether to spend an extra month in May seeing Laos, especially if the weather is starting monsoon season!

Has anyone done this and could tell me what the weather is usually like?

Thanks!

#1 nicolad93 has been a member since 8/2/2013. Posts: 2

Posted by Captain_Bob on 8/2/2013 at 06:45

April is usually the hottest month and May is usually the start of tropical rainy season. Mix those two together and you can expect fairly steamy conditions. Hot when it's sunny, relief during short heavy rains, maximum highs around 35-40C/95-105F, but cooler in the hills (northern Laos) especially at night. Don't be too turned off by the M word - just take it slowly in the heat and duck in somewhere if it rains.

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,891

Posted by TravelingDave on 15/2/2013 at 11:53

If you can't stand humidity then i wouldn't do it. Temperature can be anywhere between 28-33C, so not the hottest month but the rainfall can be as high as 350mm/12inches which will make the whole region very uncomfortable.

Best advice would be to try to do it in April if you have time. The temperature is higher but it is the humidity that kills you(not literally ;) ).

#3 TravelingDave has been a member since 13/2/2013. Posts: 15
 Website   Twitter 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.