Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Travel by boat in Mekong River

Posted by HannahD on 19/2/2013 at 01:52

Hi, I'd like to know if there is any way that I could travel in boat or passenger ferry for the following location:
1. Vientiane to Louang phrabang
2. Louang phrabang to Vientiane
3. Louang phrabang to Pakse
4. Savannakhet to Pakse
5. Pakse to Vientiane

Also, I would like to know:
1. What services are available, in case boats or ferry are not available: tourist and publictransport?
2. What are the sailing schedules?
3. How long would travel between each port take?
4.What are the costs?

Thanks in advance for the help.

#1 HannahD has been a member since 19/2/2013. Posts: 1

Posted by somtam2000 on 21/2/2013 at 03:53 admin

Hi HannahD,

There are no regular passenger ferries on any of the routes you list anymore. You could theoretically jump on a freighter for the Luang Prabang to Vientiane stretch or perhaps charter a boat, but aside from that, no long distant boats anymore - bus and truck all the way.

Cheers

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,706
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by mooball on 4/3/2013 at 12:01 TF writer

Yeah, I recommend getting a cargo boat for those journeys. It'll be rough and will take many days, but I guess you know that right?

#3 mooball has been a member since 19/6/2010. Location: Australia. Posts: 435
 Send mooball a private message   Where has mooball been?   Twitter   Google+   Instagram 

Posted by Captain_Bob on 5/3/2013 at 02:18

There are expenive tourist boat cruises in some sections of the Mekong, e.g. http://www.asian-oasis.com/experiences/cruises and there is the cheap 2-day slow boat between Huay Xai and Luang Prabang, but otherwise no regular boat/ferry service. As roads improve river transport is becoming a thing of the past.

#4 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,918

Posted by MADMAC on 5/3/2013 at 02:46

To us, riverboat travel sounds romantic and relaxing, but to people who live here it sounds slow and boring. That mode of travel is just a lot less efficient than a bus.

#5 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by mariajames on 12/3/2013 at 11:06

I would love to travel in the boat it's very awesome....

#6 mariajames has been a member since 29/9/2012. Posts: 57

Posted by Rufus on 20/3/2013 at 19:08

How many times are you going to ask this question? The answer will not change.

#7 Rufus has been a member since 22/4/2007. Location: Laos. Posts: 976
 Send Rufus a private message 

Posted by exacto on 20/3/2013 at 20:38

Hi Hannah,

Huai Xai to Luang Prabang is still possible, but as noted above, the routes you want aren't available anymore. A little bit on the river goes a long way however, and those longer trips often turn into endurance tests rather than pleasant journeys. From Luang Prabang, you can take the day trip up river to Pak Ou Cave. That's about an hour or so river time and I'd say is the best part of that trip.

Another nice, shorter trip along the river, when it is running, is Pakse to Champasak or the reverse. It has been a few years since I did that trip, but I really enjoyed it, even when the boat crashed on the rocks on the return leg and we had to hitch the rest of the way back to Pakse. Regards.

#8 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,685
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Posted by MADMAC on 20/3/2013 at 23:20

Remmember when being a real man meant screaming down the Mekong on a long tail, stone drunk, with one hand wrapped around a beer Lao and the other wrapped around a 22 year old Thai chick? Well, fortunately some things never change, and the longtail remains the sacred shrine of real men everywhere:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2TFBT-5lpk

#9 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by Rufus on 22/3/2013 at 02:57

Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end".

#10 Rufus has been a member since 22/4/2007. Location: Laos. Posts: 976
 Send Rufus a private message 

Posted by sayadian on 22/3/2013 at 06:42

...and surfing the big one before giving Charlie hell! What is this, a fantasy of the 70s? Bring it on G.I. Joe. Hahooo!

#11 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557
 Send sayadian a private message 

Posted by MADMAC on 26/3/2013 at 13:19

I live on the Mekong and I actually wish I could take a river boat to PP in Cambodia. But it's not possible. The river has a number of areas where boat travel isn't feasible. It's never been a commercial waterway in the way that the Amazon or Mississippi were.

#12 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by jamesonridley on 27/3/2013 at 07:46

I suspect its impossible to go from Ho Chi Minh City to Siem Reap in in the future. It seems an extended way. I went from the Mekong Delta to Phnom Penh which took half every day. I'd recommend doing one phase by boat. Its quite a pleasant drive from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap. However it depends a bit on your obtainable time.

#13 jamesonridley has been a member since 7/2/2013. Posts: 9

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.