Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

3 weeks in Laos in June/July

Posted by jrsk42 on 17/3/2013 at 23:17

Hi everyone,

I have a question about travelling in Southeast Asia's wet season.
I only have 3 weeks for a holiday and haven't been overseas before.. after chatting to a few people and reading a lot on here, I was thinking of spending the whole time in Laos (travelling alone). I'd love to see more of SEA, but don't want to overload myself and miss out on things in Laos. Just have to go back another time! ;)

So basically I'd really appreciate some opinions on whether it is a silly idea to go in the middle of the wet season, particularly for a newbie traveller? Whether it would make more sense to wait a few months until the weather starts clearing up a bit? If you've done it before, do you have any advice?

I don't mind getting wet and I don't intend to go with many plans locked in- just a general idea of where I want to go, so a tight schedule isn't a problem. At the same time though, I don't want to spend most of my time in just one place because of floods/landslides etc.

I'm grateful for any feedback at all, so thanks in advance!

#1 jrsk42 has been a member since 17/3/2013. Posts: 1

Posted by JaiYen88 on 19/3/2013 at 13:53

Hi there,

If you go in June the rain won't be at its peak for the first part of your trip, as it really starts to pick up in July (in my experience). There are some concerns with travelling in rainy season, like occasionally being stuck inside because of downpours, increased mosquitoes, and sometimes difficulty walking around if a path or street is flooded. For the most part though, the rain doesn't last long and you will still see some sun in June (although it is likely to be grey a lot of the time in July).

The only major thing I would be worried about travelling during rainy season is road conditions - Laos is mountainous and the roads aren't in great condition, and vehicle and driving standards aren't much better. However, you are very unlikely to get into an accident, as long as you avoid overnight bus journeys.

3 weeks is lots of time to explore the country, so were you planning on taking in both Northern and Southern Lao? Do you have any ideas about which places you would like to visit? I can recommend some places if you need any further help!

#2 JaiYen88 has been a member since 25/4/2012. Posts: 110
 Send JaiYen88 a private message 

Posted by mooball on 24/3/2013 at 22:07 TF writer

Posted from within Vietnam.

3 weeks in Laos will let you see quite a bit of stuff, but you still won't see it all. The weather shouldn't hamper you too much if you don't mind getting out in it occasionally. I say just go for it see what happens. You definitely won't be meeting too many other travellers in the more remote areas in the wet season which is great if you're looking for a more local experience.

#3 mooball has been a member since 19/6/2010. Location: Australia. Posts: 435
 Send mooball a private message   Where has mooball been?   Twitter   Google+   Instagram 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.