Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Tha Kek Loop

Posted by jeeeebus on 19/5/2013 at 23:39

Recently read some not so good reviews on the travel lodge and Mr Ku's bike hire. Was recommended that a Mr Wang Wangs rental service was cheaper and offered a better quality bike. Has anyone been there lately and can advise as will be in Laos early july

#1 jeeeebus has been a member since 9/10/2011. Posts: 26

Posted by somtam2000 on 21/5/2013 at 17:49 admin

Our coverage of the ThaKhaek loop was updated very recently, also have some general pointers on doing the loop outlined here. Nothing specific about bike hire though sorry.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,710
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by mooball on 18/6/2013 at 04:11 TF writer

I recently rode bikes from two different places including Mr Ku. I also checked out Wang Wang's bikes. In short, Mr Ku's *look* better and cost about twice as much as Wang Wang's. If you're on a tight budget, forget Mr. Ku. If you want a little bit more security, go to Mr. Ku and pay a little extra for something that may be better - or may just be more expensive. If I was going again, I would skip Mr. Ku not because he was bad, but because I'd be looking to save a bit of cash.

Whatever the case, the roads in part are bad and the bikes are made for those conditions. They will definitely break after a while and you might be the unlucky one to be on the bike at the time.

The other thing is that Mr Ku is located at Traveler's Lodge which is a long long walk from anything else in town. Again, my advice would be to avoid Traveler's Lodge and find something closer to the river. The whole place has some sort of mythical reputation that I don't quite understand. One thing you will get that you don't get anywhere else is LOTS of other travellers who have been on the loop so you'll be able to ask questions about what to see and what not see. You'll also get to read the guestbook in which hundreds of people have written of their experiences.

At the end of the day, if you're a bit of an adventure traveller and not one of those backpackers who sticks to the well-worn tourist trail, you should be find going do Wang Wang, getting a bike and hitting the road without so much as a hand drawn map.

#3 mooball has been a member since 19/6/2010. Location: Australia. Posts: 435
 Send mooball a private message   Where has mooball been?   Twitter   Google+   Instagram 

Posted by jeeeebus on 18/6/2013 at 04:23

Well thank-you Mooball for being so helpful, I shall take your advice and see what happens should be an adventure if nothing else.
Once again very much appreciated

#4 jeeeebus has been a member since 9/10/2011. Posts: 26

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.