Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Electrical Adaptor

Posted by jeeeebus on 19/5/2013 at 23:41

Will be travelling through Cambodia and Laos in the next couple of months. Can someone advise as to the type of adaptor I need to get for power sockets.

#1 jeeeebus has been a member since 9/10/2011. Posts: 26

Posted by Geer1 on 20/5/2013 at 01:41

Depends on where you come from. Everywhere I went in Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam had the same 2 prong outlets we use here in Canada/USA. The electricity itself is different(higher voltage and lower frequency) but most adapters are built for this now(just make sure the adapter is good for higher voltages, should say right on it 110-240 or something like that).

If from Europe, Australia etc just know you need an adapter to go to a 2 prong outlet.

It was actually funny seeing how many people didn't realize this and were trying to use big bulky converter plugs to change the voltage down to 110.

#2 Geer1 has been a member since 14/9/2012. Posts: 540
 Where has Geer1 been? 

Posted by jeeeebus on 20/5/2013 at 02:35

Thank You Geer 1
Am from Australia. Travelled Vietnam last year but wasn't sure if the sockets were the same.. Thank you for your advice

Regards, Jeeeebus

#3 jeeeebus has been a member since 9/10/2011. Posts: 26

Posted by Geer1 on 20/5/2013 at 23:09

Yep. Vietnam, Thailand, Laos and Cambodia all use same sockets. Some have slightly different electricity I believe but overall I never needed to use a converter as my adapter covered all the ranges.

#4 Geer1 has been a member since 14/9/2012. Posts: 540
 Where has Geer1 been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.