Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Huay Xai to Luang Prabang

Posted by Pocohantas on 11/6/2013 at 06:15

Dear All,

Has anyone ever taken the speedboat to Luang Prabang? I have read it is dangerous and I would welcome the opinion of someone who has done it!

Thanks for your time

#1 Pocohantas has been a member since 10/5/2013. Posts: 23

Posted by Captain_Bob on 11/6/2013 at 06:44

You'll get opinions on both sides. It's widely believed to be very dangerous, but that's usually spoken by people who've never even done it. The two times of year I would hesitate are peak dry and peak wet season (aka "rock" season and "log" season), but now we're right in between so the chances of bumping into anything large and solid are relatively low.

I've taken speed boats on the Mekong several times and never found it scary or overly dangerous, but it is a bit uncomfortable after a few hours. They normally pack in six people and their bags get lashed to the bow so if you can manage to sit in front and rest your legs on the bags it's more comfortable. Oh and one common sense item: sunscreen. When you're moving that fast it's easy not to notice yourself burning.

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,891

Posted by Pocohantas on 11/6/2013 at 06:48

Thank you for your helpful tips! :-) I will take the speedboat and endeavour to get there early to get a seat at the front.

#3 Pocohantas has been a member since 10/5/2013. Posts: 23

Posted by Pocohantas on 15/6/2013 at 11:05

Thank you for your helpful tips.

Cheers

#4 Pocohantas has been a member since 10/5/2013. Posts: 23

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.