Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

South Vietnam and South Laos itinerary

Posted by Foolslena on 21/6/2013 at 08:50

Hi everyone,

thank you for all your informative posts. I wanted to know if anyone has travelled around South Vietnam and (South) Laos within the short time of about 3 weeks? Is it doable without to much stress?

I think to travel about this route (or the reverse way):

Fly to: HCMC (1 night) - Phu Quoc (Flight) (stay about 2 nights)- Mekong Delta (Ferry, Bus) (about 2-3 nights)- HCMC (Bus) (1 night)- Hoi An / Da Nang (Train or Bus) (stay 1 night) - Pakse (Bus) (stay 1 night) -Thousand Islands (Bus or Minibustour) (stay at least 2 nights) - Vientiane (Bus) (1 night) - Fly back from there

This makes about 11 days/nights plus travel time, or have I underestimated those times? Should I plan stops in Nha Trang or Mui Ne to split the ride between HCMC and Hoi An or go direct?

Is the direct bus between Hoi An or Da Nang and Pakse (Laos) still operating? Which company?

Is it better to take this Bus, which I think goes via Lao Bao border crossing, or the Bus between Kotum / Pleiku in Central Highlands via Bo Y border? Anyone done the latter route? The Bo Y border seems better located but I get mixed information about Busses crossing there.

Would it be possible to go to Luang Prabang after Vientiane (and fly back from Luang Prabang) or would this be to far for the little time?

Or should I also skip Vientiane and leave directly from Pakse (or Ubon Ratchathani in Thailand, which has cheaper flights)?

What do you think about the route? We will travel next January, I think in these regions should be decent weather then. Most interested in beautiful landscapes /nature acitivities, a little less in cities / temples / culture. Not interested in partying.

Thank you for your ideas and advice!

#1 Foolslena has been a member since 19/6/2013. Posts: 17

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.