Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

tham kong lo cave

Posted by L100 on 27/7/2013 at 11:51

im heading to vang vieng and was thinking before going on to don det island going through tham kong lo cave: has anyone been there lately? is now the wet season a good time to go is it not dangerously infested with mosquitos? do you know if there is a bus from vang vieng to the cave area _ i was told its possible to sleep in ban kong lo village or in a homestay near the cave_ and is there a direct bus going from this area to the 4000 islands basicly im wondering how much it would be out of the way to see this cave and if its worth it.. quick replies would be great... thanks a lot

#1 L100 has been a member since 12/5/2013. Posts: 13

Posted by billytheliar on 27/7/2013 at 13:04

Direct bus from Vientiane to Kong Lor every day 10am. (Theoretically every second day VIP bus). A better option might be a bus to Ban Nahin (last Nov. 3 buses 5, 6 and 8am, if I remember correctly) and organize the last few km from there, as the direct bus might arrive after dark. Onward travel to the 4000 islands : From Kong Lor to the intersection of roads 8 and 13 or Tha Khek, and work your way south. Don't think you can do it whithout changing buses. Bear in mind, you'll need two nights in Kong Lor and arranging your departure in the morning could be a little confusing. imo absolutely worth it. Lots of insects, even in the semi-dry season, the proximity of the river doesn't make things better, of course - but isn't the whole area similar?

#2 billytheliar has been a member since 3/4/2012. Posts: 48
 Where has billytheliar been? 

Posted by Joelle on 29/7/2013 at 09:42

Just did the cave few weeks ago. Direct bus from Vientiane, 7hours ride. Brings you directly to Kong Lor village, lots of accommodations available there including home stays (we had a guesthouse).

No direct bus available from the cave to the South, you'll have to take a jumbo tuk-tuk and change twice (at intersection road 8 and intersection road 13) to Takhek. It's about 5 hour of Tuk-tuk. In Takhek, you can continue on " normal" bus to your destination.

Overall a long trip. Cave + surroundings are beautiful. No major issues when visiting the cave, lots of mosquitoes of course, bring repellent.

Review of the visit on my blog.

Enjoy your trip!

#3 Joelle has been a member since 10/7/2013. Location: Belgium. Posts: 11
 Send Joelle a private message   Where has Joelle been?   Website 

Posted by MADMAC on 31/7/2013 at 12:05

FYI the Mekong right now is about to flood in Mukdahan. It's high on the banks. I don't know how that will effect the cave right now, but I would assume that river levels are up everywhere. It's been raining every day the last month and a half.

#4 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.