Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Laos again and again

Posted by FGeilenkirchen on 7/9/2013 at 11:52

i plan my 4th trip to Laos after a travel in the south (4000 Islands) Slow Boat to Thailand , Vientiane Luang Prabang , Plain of Jars,
I missed only central Laos ( Thakhek) and Nong Khiaw .Any suggestions?
But i have only two weeks this year.

#1 FGeilenkirchen has been a member since 21/6/2008. Posts: 1

Posted by somtam2000 on 7/9/2013 at 12:24 admin

With two weeks you could do something like Luang Prabang - Nong Kiaow - Muang Ngoi - Muang Khua - Udomxai - Luang Nam Tha - Huay Xai & exit.

That gives you plenty of boat time and you could do some trekking from Muang Khua or Nam Tha should that be of interest - Gibbons between LNT and Huay Xai.

Actually, I'd reverse that, start at Huay Xai -- that was you'll be going downriver to LPQ :-)

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,652
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by Geer1 on 7/9/2013 at 12:25

I would recommend Nong Khiaw and Muang Ngoi and other Northern Laos if you have already seen 4000 islands(main attraction of the south imo) and especially if you have seen Pakse /Bolaven Plateau.

Thakhek imo is lacking, Konglor was interesting but between Konglor and Pakse I found little of interest. Up north the scenery is much better and a different cultural feel seeing how they live on the river etc.

#3 Geer1 has been a member since 14/9/2012. Posts: 540
 Send Geer1 a private message   Where has Geer1 been? 

Posted by LaoLover on 7/10/2013 at 02:52

Agree with somtam - the boat trip between Huay Xai and Luang Prabang is really nice. Downriver probably makes more sense, but we did it going upstream to Huay Xai and it was easy, and maybe less crowded that way.
I hear great things about the caves around Thakek and have been wanting to check it out, so that should go on the list. You might have already been up in this area, but there's a wildlife-spotting river trip called Nam Nern that was a lot of fun We'd read it about it online, but did it a couple of weeks ago and got to see some animals, and it was a really pretty part of the country, and it's to the east of Nong Khiaw.
Nong Khiaw itself is definitely in a stunning setting, but it sounds like you've seen some karst in your time. I thought Nong Khiaw was pretty, but there wasn't a lot to do and so I'm glad we kept going into other areas.
Have a great time on trip #4!

#4 LaoLover has been a member since 7/10/2013. Posts: 5

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.