Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Flight routes & costs from UK to Luang Prabang?

Posted by EdwardTrunk on 8/9/2013 at 05:16

We're hoping to visit Luang Prabang this November, flying from Britain, probably London. Would be grateful for any comment on:
1) Cheap international routes / airlines / connections which will end up with us flying into Luang Prabang airport, not Vientiane.
2) Any very rough idea about likely total one way cost in November. I'm not sure how typical are the sort of prices I'm seeing on the web.

#1 EdwardTrunk has been a member since 7/9/2013. Posts: 35

Posted by somtam2000 on 8/9/2013 at 05:30 admin

You'd be looking at $150-200 one way from Bangkok to Luang Prabang with Lao Airlines or Bangkok Airways (who I THINK are the only two carriers flying the route) -- there may be cheaper flights via advanced purchase etc.

LPQ has very limited international connections, so it will be most likely cheaper to fly into Bangkok for eg for the long haul bit and then get the connection flight to LPQ. It would be cheaper to fly into KL and then grab an AirAsia flight to Vientiane, but you've still then got to get to Luang Prabang from there (AA don't fly to LPQ).

Can't help on flight costs ex Europe into Asia sorry.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,706
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by daawgon on 8/9/2013 at 11:35

GBP 820 return for London-Luang Prabang via Vienna and Bangkok on Austrian and Bangkok Airways (3 segments) - departing Nov 10th

GBP 625 oneway for same date via Kuwait and Bangkok/ 3 segments on Kuwait Air and Bangkok Airways

sample from ITA Matrix

#3 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,132
 Send daawgon a private message 

Posted by Captain_Bob on 8/9/2013 at 11:51

Yep, Bangkok offers the most flight options and there are direct flights LHR-BKK on EVA, British Airways and Thai Airways. Or many 1-stop probably cheaper flights on the likes of Emirates, Air India, Jet Airways, Aeroflot, Turkish Airlines, etc. Then as above Lao Airlines or Bangkok Airways the two options for BKK-LPQ.

"I'm not sure how typical are the sort of prices I'm seeing on the web"
The prices you're seeing online are most likely real and accurate. Just make sure they include airport fees, taxes, etc. Shop/book online. Use a site like kayak.com to check multiple airlines.

#4 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,918

Posted by EdwardTrunk on 9/9/2013 at 05:20

Thanks very much everyone. That's given me some good leads to work on.

#5 EdwardTrunk has been a member since 7/9/2013. Posts: 35

Posted by Captain_Bob on 9/9/2013 at 05:43

Also note that Thai Airways (Thai Smile) will commence BKK-LPQ direct flights on November 16, 2013.

#6 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,918

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.