Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Best way of getting from Ho Chi Minh City to Luang Prabhang

Posted by blueyofsorrento on 17/9/2013 at 04:37

Hello, fellow Travelfishers!

We're travelling to Vietnam on 1st November 2013. This is our 4th visit to VN and we'd like to do Laos, probably, but not necessarily, Luang Prabhang. Is there any easy (quick) way to get to LP from HCMC? From searching air travel sites, it's either horrendously expensive or it takes so long, it's as if you have to go via the North Pole! We normally do our own bookings on line and have often booked with the little travel kiosks in the major VN cities without problems. We're thinking about chancing it and booking once we get to HCMC, but there's always the risk that we won't be able to get the right connecting flights, etc.

It it would make things easier, we'd be prepared to go via Vientiane . Is Vientiane worth a look, or is it just another teeming capital city?

I look forward to your comments!

#1 blueyofsorrento has been a member since 29/3/2012. Posts: 3

Posted by Geer1 on 17/9/2013 at 11:25

Depends what all you want to see and do. It will be cheaper to fly through Vientiane although there isn't that much to do there. You could fly there then take the bus up to Vang Vieng, then bus up to Luang Prabang if you want to save a couple bucks. If you are visiting Laos I don't see how you could consider missing Luang Prabang.

Alternatively flights to Luang Prabang are much cheaper and direct when flying from Hanoi . Might even be cheaper to do HCMC to Hanoi to LP.

#2 Geer1 has been a member since 14/9/2012. Posts: 540
 Where has Geer1 been? 

Posted by daawgon on 17/9/2013 at 12:34

I agree. I paid $145. HAN-LPQ last fall, but considerably more from SGN (Lao Airlines is the cheapest and only if you purchase on their site)

#3 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,111

Posted by Captain_Bob on 18/9/2013 at 02:50

There are no direct flights SGN-LPQ. The most efficient connection is via Vientiane on Lao Airlines or Vietnam Airlines. Vientiane is worth a couple days, then go up to Luang Prabang via Vang Vieng, allowing at least 2-3 days. Nice scenery in between.

#4 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,891

Posted by blueyofsorrento on 24/9/2013 at 04:48

Many thanks for your responses.

#5 blueyofsorrento has been a member since 29/3/2012. Posts: 3

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.