Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Hotel recommendation for Luang Prabang please?

Posted by EdwardTrunk on 13/10/2013 at 09:04

We're seeking a hotel for a week in Luang Prabang in February. We're hoping for somewhere which:
1. preferably has a building with traditional character - old rather than new.
2. a comfortable room for 2 people with private bathroom.
3. quiet neighbourhood with greenery but in easy walking distance of the beautiful parts of Luang Prabang
4. moderate price. Not seeking anywhere glitzy or plush or with lots of services. Not seeking TV etc.
5. Very important - we want to book long in advance & seek somewhere with e-mail, where we can get a response from a human, not just on-line booking.
6. As an extra, it would be nice to get picked up at Luang Prabang airport.

A small family-run hotel in an old house would suit us fine.

I'd be really grateful to hear of any hotels which fit most of the above. Even better with their e-mail address!

Thank you.

#1 EdwardTrunk has been a member since 7/9/2013. Posts: 35

Posted by JaiYen88 on 13/10/2013 at 11:40

I think this place might be perfect for you:

It's popular for a reason and the price is pretty amazing considering how clean and well maintained the place is. Mr Adisack, the owner, is very helpful and should respond to your email.

Ask for one of the upstairs rooms built in the original wooden colonial style (I think they are slightly more expensive, but nicer).

#2 JaiYen88 has been a member since 25/4/2012. Posts: 110
 Send JaiYen88 a private message 

Posted by daawgon on 13/10/2013 at 12:32

I really liked Manichan Guesthouse close to the Wet Market and Wat Mai - most convenient area of LP/close to the Mekong. The owner is Belgian (married to a Lao lady w/kids), and he's also a chef (simply awesome breakfasts at the communal table).

#3 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,130
 Send daawgon a private message 

Posted by EdwardTrunk on 16/10/2013 at 16:58

Thanks very much for those 2 helpful items of info, which I've followed up.

#4 EdwardTrunk has been a member since 7/9/2013. Posts: 35

Posted by novagorilla on 18/10/2013 at 02:52

I really liked Rattana guesthouse. A good location and it is a super friendly family run place. Not sure how old it is though.. Next time I'm in L.P. I will definitely stay there. Worth a look for sure. Very good prices too.

#5 novagorilla has been a member since 25/2/2013. Posts: 7

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.